No Repos! No iShare! Lots of ROMs straight to your iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by 1234567890123456789012345, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 1234567890123456789012345

1234567890123456789012345 New Member

EDIT: Just found out this is only 1.1.1 compatible. If you do this on any higher firmware you will just be wasting space.

Basically, what this does is it allows you to download ROMs off of the Internet. Please note that once you install this, all you have to do is download a ROM and unzip. You do not have to repeat this whole process all over again.

A couple days ago I was scrolling through the NES emulator section when I came across this...

Tried this my self with a SNES ROM, a NES ROM, a GBA ROM, and a Genesis ROM. They all worked perfectly well.

I didn't find a post like this in the emulator section yet so I thought I should put it up here.

Make sure you have these before beginning:

Blaze's Ultimate Sources Part 1 (Add this source: http://blazecompany.googlepages.com/blaze.xml)

File Download Plugin (Attached)

NetServices (Provided you installed Blaze's Sources - Found in Installer)

Modified SendFile.app (Attached)

CLU - zip (Provided you installed Blaze's Sources Part 1 - Found in Installer)
    Remember that CLU - zip ONLY UNZIPS, it does not extract any other file type

Squid (Only for users who add apps VIA Total Commander - Found in Installer)

MobileFinder (Used to relocate ROMs to the correct directory - Found in Installer)

Term-vt100 (Used with CLU - zip to unzip ROMs - Found in Installer)

One thing you might also want to check is to make sure your "MobileFinder" can view system files. You can change this in the "Settings" tab.

This is a long procedure to install, but is worth it in the end.

The first thing you want to do is extract and add the Modified SendFile.app and File Download Plugin folders to your iPod. Put the "File Download Plugin" and "QuickTime Plugin" folders in "System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins." Put the "SendFile.app" folder in "Applications." Pretty easy right?

SSH users: Change permissions on every file in every folder to 777. Restart your iPod when finished.

Total Commander users: Add the folders to the correct directories, and use "Squid" to change the permissions on every file in every folder (Just make sure there is an "x" in every green box for each item, and hit "Apply" before you hit the back button). Restart your iPod when finished.

Open up the latest version of "NetServices." At the bottom, you will see 5 tabs (Built-In, Add-Ons, Settings, Help, and Information). Click the one labeled "Add-Ons." There should now be an option labeled "File Share Plug-In." Set that option to "ON" if it is not already (This may take a few seconds). You should now be able to download files through Safari

Please Register or Log in to view images

Next install a ROM for NES, SNES, GBA, or Genesis ON YOUR IPOD'S SAFARI BROWSER (When you click a download link, there are two lime-green buttons that say "Download" and "Change File Name." Please note that when changing the filename the file must always end in .zip). When done use "MobileFinder" to make sure that the file you downloaded is in "var/root/Downloads."

Now for the unzipping part

Open up "Term-vt100." type in "cd ~/Downloads" EXACTLY as this is.
    ^
    (There's a space between "cd" and "~")

A # should appear under the line you typed.
    Next type "unzip (Name of your ROM).zip"
    ^
    (There's a space between "unzip" and "(Name of your ROM).zip")

Once that is finished, your ROM should be unzipped

, BUT YOU'RE NOT DONE YET.
    Open MobileFinder and go back to "var/root/Downloads." You should now see your unzipped ROM and your zipped one. Delete the zipped one to save space. In the bottom left, hit "File," and then hit "Move" go to the directory where the ROM belongs, and hit "Paste" there.

Finished

You should now see your ROM in the emulator. I really hope this helps.

Thanks goes to japanman104.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. 1234567890123456789012345

Has anyone actually bothered reading this post?

And why the hell do people keep replying to my other post?
  3. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Fine, we'll stop replying to your posts then =p

Anyway, it seems to me like just SSHing into the iPod and dragging and dropping is a lot less complicated than this is but that could just be because i'm used to it.

I guess all the power to ya for posting a new way =]
  4. 1234567890123456789012345

Well really, once you install this, you just download a ROM, unzip it in the terminal, and move it to the right directory. Done. Basically the same steps you would take to SSH a ROM, but without the computer.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    dude nice i've been so tired of having to SSH roms nice +1
  6. tw1g3e

tw1g3e New Member

Hey,
    Kyle right?
    Anyways,
    Just a question,
    The tut you put up with adding roms to your touch without the computer,
    I've got one question,
    How long is it supposed to be loading for when it restarts???
    I've finished everything,
    Changed all permissions to 777,
    Did this all through winscp,
    Openssh,
    Terminal,
    Got all apps,
    Basicly,
    Everything i was supposed to do is done,
    Now I restarted it like you said i should,
    And thats where I am,
    It's been restarting for about 45 minutes.
    It's just on the mac apple icon on a black background when the itouch is loading the system.
    I'm currently running a completely jailbroken 1.1.3,
    No added apps that aren't 100% necessary,
    Only one that I added that wasn't on your list was the blaze ultimate sources for installer.
    Sooooo,
    Yeah.
    These are basicly the questions I was wondering.
    Is there something I did wrong?
    Anyone else come across this problem?
    Anything I can do to fix it?
    Is it normal?
    If so, How long do I have to wait?
  7. albert_$n

albert_$n New Member

Thats no allowed
  8. trey

trey New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if this post didnt help you look at this one helped me learn how to unzip on ipod using terminal. http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=198528 goto tag009's post....

also to finder didnt copy and paste for me so i followed P0150N0U5F15's post
    ("Install bossprefs and respring, open it click on more and then select usr perm fix(2d one down), then Fix Me!")
    and that fixed finder....