no recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bapski, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bapski

bapski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i just got my wife's ipod touch 3g 64gb yesterday from BB. and first thing i had in mind was to have it "modified".

after much perusing, seems like id have to start to put the ipod on a recovery mode which for the life of me i can't make it do..

im familiar with this kind of stuff, having modified several of my toys including my phone (fuze) so i don't think im not following the instructions right.. power off, press and hold home button, insert cable and then i should be getting the "connecting to itunes" screen which, frustratingly has not happened to me..

is there anything i've missed? i've come to the point where i bit the bullet and upgraded the firmware from 3.1.3 to 4.0 thinking it'll solve my dilemma but may have turned out worse for me since i dont think i can jailbreak my ipod touch 3g with ios 4.0...

thank you for your insights guys..
  2. ijailbreak3dot0

ijailbreak3dot0 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  3. bapski

bapski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thank you for your reply and kind welcome.. but isn't DFU mode different from RECOVERY MODE?
  4. ijailbreak3dot0

ijailbreak3dot0 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, they are different:

Recovery Mode : Recovery Mode is a state of iBoot that is used during standard upgrades and restores. As iBoot is active, it does not allow you to downgrade your device’s software. Also, unless it is ‘pwned,’ it will not allow custom firmware to be flashed.

DFU Mode : DFU Mode is a special mode where the device can still interface with iTunes, yet it does not load the iBoot. The screen will appear totally black in DFU mode, so you can’t guess whether the device is in DFU or powered down from simply looking at the screen. Because iBoot and the OS are not loaded this exploit makes us able to downgrade your iPhone firmware or upgrade with a custom firmware created by Pwnage tool.

source: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/recovery-mode-and-dfu-mode/

Basically recovery mode is the basic mode that only upgrades, while DFU (device f***ed up mode) allows you to modify special files that allow downgrades and more restores work this way.
  5. bapski

bapski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    anyways.. i've tried both RECOVERY and DFU methods as outlined but still no go for me.. it won't be long till the HOME button on this darn thing gets permanently embedded/depressed from me holding on to it too much..

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    to further add.. from all videos i have seen i dont see my device screen go blank as what ive seen from video instructions.. i see the apple logo on mine!