No offense to Erica Sadun...

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Tsunio, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Tsunio

Tsunio New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    *THIS POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ERICA SADUN. THE TITLE IS SIMPLY THE RESULT OF MISINFORMATION*

I hate Categories. It's a sloppy, memory consuming application of which the modification, user interface, and all around effectiveness are just poor.

If anyone would be willing to make a remake or clone (only better) of this nice-in-theory application, I'd be VERY appreciative.

And a nicer, sleeker launcher (as opposed to Appflow) would be nice too, although I'm much more concerned with regards to Categories.

Thank you!
  2. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    BigBoss is the author of the application and if the application was really that bad, it would have been improved on by now. Although, a nicer GUI would be nice!
  3. Tsunio

Tsunio New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not only would a nicer GUI be good, but the folders are essentially applications that don't close out once whatever application you decide to launch is launched. If you go into the process manager from sbsettings, you can actually see the remaining process long after the folder had closed. God forbid you should open more than one folder in a sitting...
  4. magusxxx

magusxxx New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There was only one problem I've had with Categories and I blame it more on an oversight by Apple. I have the app Shopper and The Better World Shopper Guide. BOTH icons have the same name, Shopper. I thought this would be something Apple would want to avoid. I mean, it's avoided on OSX, right?

If I try putting both of these into the same Category it will put two of the same one in the folder. Clicking on either will load up the same app. The other app will disappear from being selected in Category. Though, it is still available in the regular pages.
  5. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate the GUI too. What happened to the gleamy, rounded look of the icons? And there's extra room below the last row. At least they added a "keep resident" feature...
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    they could make a drop in feature where if you have a folder on home, simple drag and drop an app onto the folder and it gets added.

Just makes it easier if you download an app and find you want to add to catagories and saves loading up the app.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    That would require a MS extension. Personally, I try to keep my MS extensions at a minimum.

I think categories is good right now, it never stays open too long anyway.

And I've never had a problem with a folder not closing.
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The problem here is the iPhone itself. The name that displays under the icon on the device can be up to 8 characters long, or it will show up like supe..ool (for supercool

). Some apps don't have obvious ways to shorted the same (sprcool?) so they end up having the same shortened name as something else. Two apps can't have the same actual name (ie, "Super Monkey Ball") but two apps can display "SMB" under the app icon.
  9. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    ah good point

10. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I just don't like folders icons. If I substituted for the folders, do I delete the folders or only add mine, and can I use any name I like, except a duplicate name?

I love the fact AppFlow crashes when I make the display run past too fast. It releases memory.