No luck with location services

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by EricJD, Dec 10, 2008.

1. EricJD

EricJD New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Any time an app requests to discover my location, it always fails. Any ideas on how to get it working?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Go somewhere with lots of wifi!
  3. VoRLiN

VoRLiN Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you need an iphone. LOLOOLOLOOLOLOLOL
    you kids.
  4. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ACTUALLY YOU DONT.

Please Register or Log in to view images

iPod Touches use something like Wifi Triangulation...or something like that. Im not 100% sure, but I do know that it requires a strong WiFi connection to get your position just right!
  5. TheRUD

TheRUD New Member

The Wi-Fi Locate-Service only works with Wifis, that broadcast some information about their location I guess. Though I don't know how to broadcast location-info on Wi-Fi I think that it will only work with public ones. But maybe there's a way to do it with your own Wi-fi at home (which would not be that smart, because I guess we all should know the location of our private networks...)
  6. spicyb

spicyb New Member

The wifi locate seems to work for me from my home... which means it eventually (3-4 min) comes up with an location. The odd part is that it "found" me at my address from 2 years ago.... and I've switched ISP's since then.
  7. toddy1

toddy1 New Member

Hopeful

Here's the theory....
    Location services works when you're in range of a wifi access point that is registered with Skyhook: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

Anyone can register a wifi access point, and all you need is the MAC address of your router - mine was both on the bottom of my router, and it was displayed when I ran the software that supports my router (airport utility). There are also applications that can identify your MAC address.

The reality is that I've just submitted my MAC address and it can take a few weeks for a location to be added - wish me luck!
  8. SteveSimpkin

SteveSimpkin New Member

I submitted my home WiFi MAC address and location to Skyhook in mid November. Location services started working at home on my Touch last week, so it took about 3 weeks to become registered. Locations services can also find me at work (about 75 miles away) where I can see around 6 WiFi hot spots (all encrypted). I haven't been able to make it work anywhere else yet but one of the requirements is that you have to be connected to a WiFi hot spot in order for location services to work. Not exactly a replacement for GPS.
  9. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch