No Force Quit? New Home Button Features.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by MrGreencastle, Jun 19, 2009.

1. MrGreencastle

MrGreencastle New Member

So with the old method of force quitting applications gone (now you must hold lock button until slider, then hold home button), I was thinking of something kinda cool.

Maybe Apple are planning to add new features to the holding the home button in future firmware updates? As in, holding home becomes more of a contextual menu that all applications can use, currently it does nothing.

I could think of some nice ones that would be useful depending on the app you are in.
    -Music: Holding home brings up equalizer menu that is currently stuck in a maze in Settings
    -Safari: Home Page, or maybe a Top Sites type thing as in Safari 4/Chrome/Opera
    -Home Screen: Brings up a SBSettings type thing that can quickly change brightness, connect to wifi and other quickly useful things.

Anyone have any other cool/useful ideas?
  2. Dixi789

Dixi789 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Didn't realise this had changed, but maybe Apple or a JB app could have it so when held down it opens an app of your choice. Or you could make it select a random app from, say you games categories folder. Just a thought.
  3. MrGreencastle

MrGreencastle New Member

Ah yes, AppShuffle(tm)

Please Register or Log in to view images

That actually could be kinda fun, with all those games I eventually have on my iPod, I KNOW that I'm maybe playing 4 or 5 of them. It would be kind of cool to randomly open a game to play.
  4. M_A_G_G_I

M_A_G_G_I Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It could open a menu where you can switch between your running apps, with the faster cpu of the 3gs it should be possible to have several apps running in the background.
  5. MrGreencastle

MrGreencastle New Member

That would be a GREAT extension to the Backgrounder app in Cydia (which already does this, without the list) Though, I hear it's no longer working on 3.0.

I'm sure someone could come up with something similar.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just thought of something interesting. If anyone has seen Palm Pre demos, they'll know that the touch interface actually extends below the actual screen. By brushing from this touch area up towards the screen it brings a sort of OS X style fisheye dock. I wonder if it would be possible to map the hold home button to activate this detection, and then slide your thumb upward from it to the screen, where the "dock" is now available in any app. I know this already exists somewhat in the dock application in Cydia, but it would be nice to see something like this implemented.
  6. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My home button dbl tap doesnt work right... unless im doing it wrong?
    I set it to Search... dbl click it.. and the music popup appears. I set it to Home, dbl click... music popup.

basically all i ever get is the music popup?
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I think that if you hold the home button, something like OSX's expose should come up. You know, clock weather, whatever. It could be customizable. That way, you wouldn't need to go to different apps. Or, it could be to toggle wifi on/off.
  8. edson95

edson95 New Member

umm didnt u guys watch the keynote.... holding the home button brings up voice control on the new iphone 3gS
  9. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    to end background processes you need to hold power button until slide to power off comes up (while in the app) and let go of power and hold home til the app closes. Hope that helps!
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yes, I did. But the 3gs and the iPod touch firmware are different. They could have holding the home button on the touch do something different than on the 3GS. It wouldn't be very hard to code...