no comments on iGo?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by volandkit, Jan 9, 2008.

1. volandkit

volandkit New Member

Hi, everyone. I looked, but didn't notice any posts on iGo from RobotaSoftware. Nobody interested or what? Let's discuss it. With chess (i prefer caissa), reversi and backgammon, my ipot table games collection is complete.
    I can't play on 13x13 and 19x19 boards, it gets filled (almost filled) by black stones. Anybody have a solution?
  2. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Hi Volandkit, I downloaded this game but have never played it before. The game looks ok. Dont know how to play it yet, got to figure that bit out. Im hooked on backgammon at the moment. Incredible game. Cant believe I have never played this before. Is the Igo similar idea to backgammon.
  3. FauxShow

FauxShow New Member

I've been hooked on backgammon for over a month now.

iGo is very difficult and I lost quickly. Then the game crashed and I had to hold both buttons on my iPod for a few seconds to break out of the program. Then I uninstalled it. I'll try the next version.
  4. volandkit

volandkit New Member

Yes, I like backgammon too, playing it constantly (pity there is no save though). Go (baduk, weitzi) is one of the oldest games in history. Its ultimate goal is to get bigger territory by placing stones of your color (black or white) and ocasionally capturing stones of your opponent. There are very simple rules for this game can be found it here. The game itself is a bit confusing for a beginner and way harder than a chess (for me it is). But I love it, makes my brain to boil

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Arithon

Arithon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I used to play go a long time ago..

iirc, you capture the opponents pieces by surrounding them with your own, in which case their pieces dissapear.

In the simplest case...

they have 1 piece, and you place 4 of your pices on each side of thiers. Once you've surrounded the enemy, the squares they occupy become your 'territory' and the winner at the end of the game owns the most territory.

Once one side has formed a circle, the opponent is not allowed to place any piece within that circle.

Concerning pieces on the edge of the board, i believe surrounding them on 3 sides counts as surrounding them.

I hope that helps..
  6. Andymans

Andymans New Member

The link was very helpful for the game play, Thanks. Sounds like a game that you are going to tear your hair out. Just like backgammon. How come the computer oponent always rolls what he needs when you think you have him trapped and you cant roll anything you need for ages. Makes my blood boil lol. Great game though. I think I will have to buy a real board set though and play against a real person who cant just roll the dice and magically get the number they need. ....well I hope they cant lol
  7. Wambam1205

Wambam1205 Banned

I was kind of disappointed in their chess but this seems promising , i think i get how to play it now
  8. SndTribe9

SndTribe9 New Member

I played alittle Go myself awhile back, its a really deep and entertaining game that takes skill and thinking ahead many steps. In alot of asian cultures it was known to be a very important skill civilized people could learn

Taken from Wikipedia:

"The objective of the game is to control a larger part of the board than the opponent. To achieve this, players strive to place their stones in such a way that they cannot be captured, while mapping out territories that cannot be invaded by the opponent without being captured. A stone or a group of stones is captured and removed if it has no empty adjacent intersections, the result of being completely surrounded by stones of the opposing color."
    "Generally, placing stones close together helps them avoid capture, whereas placing them far apart allows a player to surround more territory. Part of the strategic difficulty of the game stems from finding a balance between these two conflicting interests. The game ends, and the score is counted when both players consecutively pass on a turn, indicating that neither side can increase its territory or reduce its opponent's."

Thanks for the game download, its really fun, that computer AI is pretty tough ^^
  9. cailean2k

cailean2k New Member

I've played the iGo game and it's a very good version. It's just a pity it keeps kicking my ass. Even after I have set it to the very easiest

I also like the backgammon which is quite adictive. And a lot easier than iGo
  10. shuriken

shuriken New Member

yeah, this iGo is pretty good......is it just me or is the board smaller than the real-life game?