Nexus Nexus 4 Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Xerox, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just ditched my gnex and picked up a 4s....the best I ever got on my nexus (if you can call it that) was about 1.5 hours screen on time, and that's with the OEM extended battery. Gotta say I missed my iPhone...I've been giving my s3 dirty looks since I got the 4s.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    These are from 23 minutes ago. There is a brief period of charging and I had wifi off at work. The sharp decrease is actually web browsing and a couple games, most taxing being NFS: Most Wanted.

Note: This is with franco kernel r22, stock settings, 1.5Max 384Min interactive govenor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zyiros likes this.
  3. SilverShip

SilverShip Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    Nexus 4 is brilliant. I actually haven't used my iPod touch at all apart from listening to music. A few downsides but mostly positives! Android 4.2 is a great OS on a great phone.
  4. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Which is better...audio quality. Earpods on N4 vs Earpods on iPod Touch. What is the audio quality like? And sadly I had to buy (decided to buy) an SSD drive because my Macbook's drive is failing, so I can't buy a N4 next summer as I had hoped :'( I'll get the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 2Gen or what ever is next of the two.
  5. SilverShip

SilverShip Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well there is one of the downsides. The speaker is on the back of the phone so if you lay it down its hardly audible and muffled. Haven't got any music on my Nexus 4 so can't really answer that one. But if you're listening through earphones I'm pretty sure the audio quality would be the same for both. What about a BB10 phone :) ?
  6. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    BB10? Just isn't for me. From what I've seen of the interface of BB10, it is different, but it's not the way I would use a phone. I'd rather have a larger App selection like iOS or Android.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I haven't actually compared them yet (since I don't have my N4), but Qualcomm's DAC is quite good.

GSM Arena (http://www.gsmarena.com/google_nexus_4-review-860p8.php) says:

"The below average volume levels aside, the Nexus 4 results came out excellent in the first part of our test. When connected to an active external amplifier, the smartphone produces excellently clean output with no weak points whatsoever.
    Even more impressively, stereo crosstalk is the only area of its performance to suffer noticeably when we plugged in a pair of headphones. On that occasion the Nexus 4 produced one of the cleanest outputs we have seen. The volume levels don’t drop, either, so they can qualify as average on this occasion."

So it should either be similar or better than the iPt. The iPod touch is known to have a worse DAC than the iPhone so the Nexus may actually be better.
    Zyiros likes this.
  8. Nirvana24

Nirvana24 Member

Was lucky enough to get one for christmas... its honestly the best device I've ever used. I don't even use my laptop anymore with it. Amazing design and speeds that will run anything you throw at it.
    iPwn likes this.
  9. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    So to keep this going aye I'mma talk about my cases. (Posting Amazon links if the item is there, Diztronic and Cruzerlite have their own subsequent sites and stores though.

tl;dr Exact Armor for protection. Diztronic for sleek sexyness.

First case I received (as it was like one of two/three available) was the....

i-Blason TPU - http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-SoftGel-Flexible-Frost-Black/dp/B009Y0ZZD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357424587&sr=1-1&keywords=i-blason nexus 4

Mine is all black with the back being a nice matte finish and the sides and top lip being a glossy plastic. It is very flexible, as TPU is, with all the ports being large and nicely cut. The lip comes a little over the front of the device and holds it off the surface of whatever, if placed down. The buttons are covered and are molded from the glossy plastic and honestly make it a pain to use them. I really don't recommend this case. Although, from Amazons link here it seems the updated it with a different revision as mine was totally 1st gen.

The second case I received was the Diztronic Matte Black TPU - http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00A55Q2HA/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

This case has a much nicer matte finish than the i-Blason, with it being very soft touch all around the device including the sides, as such the top lip is a nice glossy plastic. This case as well has a lip on the top of the device that leaves its screen suspended over whatever you place it on. The buttons are covered just like the i-Blason, but being matte TPU and molded as such, are very nice to use. The ports are all literally cut out perfectly, and I have had no issues with sound quality out the back or using a large array of 3.5mm jacks and USB cables with it on. This case gets a very large thumbs up from me, and as such has been basically my daily driver since I received it.

Third case I own is the Cruzerlite Androdified TPU (in White) - http://www.amazon.com/White-Cruzerlite-Androidified-Case-Nexus/dp/B00AJI12TQ/ref=sr_1_13?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1357425289&sr=1-13&keywords=cruzerlite nexus 4

This case being TPU again is nice and flexible, but is rather different from the other two. The back is mainly comprised of a glossy plastic like the i-Blason, with the exception being the AndyBot being matte. The top and bottom of the case are both glossy plastic and the side has very nice easy-to-hold ridges made out of the matte material. The buttons are not covered on this case and as such makes them just as easy to push as if it was naked. The cutouts for the ports are all very good once again, with the only issue I have run across is the headphone jack is cute sqaureish instead of circular. I would recommend this case as well, but not in white. After using it for at most 3 days straight, it started to get rather dirty (and it doesn't come off).

Fourth case I own is the Exact Armor Case - http://www.amazon.com/Exact-Armor-Google-Nexus-Smart/dp/B00AAKM44K/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1357425570&sr=1-1&keywords=exact armor case nexus 4

This case is much different than the rest being made of a TPU inner layer and a hard plastic outer layer. The inner soft touch plastic is very soft and rubbery, that doesn't stretch or seem like it will tear unless you really try too. The sides are indented so the harder plastic body can wrap around and the corners are much thicker for that added drop protection. The ports are all very nicely cut out, down to the mic holes. The buttons are formed from the rubber and are easily used without issue. When setting my Nexus 4 in the case the rubber wraps very snugly around it. Then it is just a matter of getting the hard plastic shell on, which is easily done without issue. (I recommend sliding in volume buttons first then power) There is a nice lip on the top for when you have your device face down. Once the case is fully on, my device seems very protected. It really adds minimal bulk, at about the same thickness as the other cases, except in the corners. Now the strange thing about this case is the fact there are 9 rubber circles protruding out the back of the device when it is all in place. It does seem to make it easier to drip in the hand/fingers, as well as help to to not slide around....at all, when placed on its back. This case may just be my daily driver from here on out and I recommend it about the same as the Diztronic.
    (As an added note this case is very comparable to the more expensive Ballistic Gel Series cases, that can easily run you $30)

My fifth and probably not final case is the Cruzerlite XDA Developers - http://www.cruzerlite.com/cases/lg/pre-order-xda-developers-nexus-4-case

I will be adding it here once I have received it.

So there you have it. If you want a sleek simple protecting case I recommend the Diztronic. If you want a little more bulk and greater protection I recommend the Exact Armor.
    Xerox and SilverShip like this.
  10. Xerox

Xerox Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Daym, And I thought I was a case finatic with my 4 ($5) cases for my iPhone.