Next time try searching (a little rant)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by al3xc, Jan 31, 2008.

1. al3xc

al3xc New Member

Everytime I log in, it reminds me that i might like to make a post.. so here goes:

<rant>
    How are people meant to search for things when they dont know what they're looking for? Yes, often searches can give some helpful posts- and i appriciate many noobs need to learn what stickies are, but searches rely on people using the same words you would when they write them. Non-technically-minded people are less likely to be able to choose exactly the right strings to pinpoint the answer they want.

Another factor which would help would be more appropriate titles for threads.. 'Another question', 'just one more thing' and 'hellllp' give others who may benefit from the answers given no real chance of stumbling across the correct post.

Next time you're self righteously chastising someone for asking a stupid question, think how easy it would be for you starting out to find the answer you're after. If no compassion is forthcoming, maybe the samaritans isnt for you

</rant>
  2. jlb8soccer

jlb8soccer Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well, your rant is abosolutely ridiculous, considering the following. When peopel say search is when someone makes a thread like, "a pocket guitar would be great for the ipod touch". And when all they had to do was put guitar as a keyword in the search. That is why they invented the word keyword.
  3. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

so what amateur, you have less than 10 posts the time I am using this right now. what gives you the right to say that. I do search. This has been said so many times. IT is even in signatures.

Go prove yourself first before you say something like this. shame on you.

AND what is with that stupid n00b html crap?
    like anything is going to happen!
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Wow. Two responses and neither one of you have a clue what you're talking about. Par for the course here sometimes, I'm afraid, but I'm going to try doing this anyway because apparently I like pain.

Did you even think about this before you posted it? Did you even try it? Go ahead. Go back to the forum index and search for "guitar." Out of the two and a half metric assloads of results it turns up, how many are actually directly relevant to this hypothetical noob question? One. In this case it happens to be on the first page of results, so probably not the best example -- and anyway, one no has even asked that question, and this isn't even the issue. The issue the OP brought up was with new users who don't necessarily know what words to use in their search. Believe it or not -- and please, humor me and try thinking down to this level for a minute -- there are actually some people who heard about this cool thing called "prison breaking" or some damn thing and would like to know more but damnit if "prison" doesn't bring up any relevant search results. (Yes, I'm being deliberately obtuse. I'm trying to prove a point that should be obvious, try and keep up here.)

The point is, searching is only useful when you have some idea what to search for, and -- you may be shocked to learn -- not everyone does.

Yes, there are lazy people who do know and just can't be arsed to do some simple research for themselves -- a lot of lazy people, to tell you the truth. But the difference between being helpful and being an asshole is that helpful people give them the benefit of the doubt before they try and shove a stick into uncomfortable places.

What in the holy hell does post count have to do with the relevance of his post? On the planet where I'm from (a little place called Earth -- lovely place, you should visit) it is the content of one's character and not the number of one's posts that defines a person. Conveniently, the contrast between your post count and the content of your post proves my point quite nicely.

Oh, and the "html crap?" It's a joke, son. It's a little something else we do here on Earth. (Really, it's quite nice; beautiful fjords.)
  5. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

in response to I_Am_Mad_Like_This...

post count doesnt mean jack sh*t whether a user has 3 posts or 2000 posts.
    has anyone ever considered that all of this time, he has just searched or found out information on his own in general? perhaps he doesnt have to post because he knows what he is doing and looking for.

we should just hide post count in general because its obvious people here still rely on it for authenticity/assurance of correct information. that way, we will never see anyone judging someone based on how many posts they have.
  6. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's very common to feel that way when you have 430ish posts.

To the OP. Yes, search sucks. Yes, search sucks worse when a million people post the same questions over and over. Yes, people say "use search" as a nicer way to say "oh crap kill me not the same question again, AAAAAAAAH."

I promise I won't every suggest search again. You can search and see if I do. Oh. Crap.

And welcome. It's crazy in here, but fun.
  7. I_am_Mad_like_This

This rant has been said for how many f'ing times.

AND it says on your signature, search before posting.

and the OP says: Everytime I log in, it reminds me that i might like to make a post.

He has only made 3. Like many other people. They will just log in here for info on jailbreaking and issues they encounter. It seems to me that he is not coming back.
  8. I_am_Mad_like_This

OK can someone just close this thread?

We're just flaming here. I want to stop.

ttytt, I was a little mad the time i posted my first post in this thread.
    sorry.
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

What difference does it make? What does that have to do with his credibility or knowledge base? Post. Count. Means. Nothing.
  10. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

Thank you [AFX], i had my own rant writen up which basicly said what yours did then decided that i didn't want to cause an agrument. But i couldn't agree more. I_am_Mad_like_This, if a post count means something does that mean you don't mind being treated like sh*t by anyone with more post then you?