Next Gen: USB 3.0 Will Sync Your iPod Very, Very Quickly

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Sep 27, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. longcat93

longcat93 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    awesome! going to save so much time

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Cant wait for this! I have a huge itunes library and it takes me agesss to transfer all that music..
  4. ben7337

ben7337 New Member

Why does everyone always say these new faster standards will make things run faster? Flash memory in iPods has speed limits, USB 2.0 speeds as far as I can tell aren't restricting the memory in ipod touches and iphones. If anything USB 3.0 will just sound better and things will still run at the same speed because USB 2.0 is not the bottleneck for writing to the memory in ipods, the memory itself is. Hard drives will transfer faster over 3.0 because they are for large file transfers limited by 2.0 low continuous speeds.
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This might fry your ipod. I knew about 3.0 in early 2010 but it was extremely expensive. Kingston is shipping 3.0 now. I wonder how apple will take advantage of 3.0 aka exploit 3.0.
  6. TouchiPod

TouchiPod Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    wait, so to use this i would need a new computer?
  7. kockgunner

kockgunner New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Is that the theoretical output or the constant rate? USB 2.0 is supposed to be faster than Firewire. Does this mean that Firewire is on it's way out? Doesn't FW still have it's advantages like not having to use CPU cycles, being able to link different FW devices together?
  8. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    firewire is a little faster than USB 2.0

USB 3.0 is much faster than both.
  9. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This will be a slow transition. I am on 2.2 what are you guys on?
  10. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Im sure you dont listen to many of the songs, all the songs in my library are stuff that I listen to which is why it's around 200-250 songs at most

I didn't know about this, thanks Ben

Apple has found another way to make us upgrade yet again sigh...

I wouldn't say "fry". Might be somewhat harmful but it's if you tried to do it yourself, if Apple enabled it they'd have some sort of protection to make sure it doesn't exceed the safe limits

Yes, you need to have USB 3.0 support. All computers come with USB 2.0 support unfortunately. The motherboard I'm getting (the actual part of the computer that has the USB ports and all that) will support USB 3.0

It wouldn't matter though, they have to release USB 3.0 support, you can't get the USB 3.0 speeds unless Apple provides a USB 3.0 transfer cable and support for it, and if it's not limited by the other hardware like the flash hardware as mentioned above

FireWire sucks, always has, just some crappy connection for Apple to win money. It never was useful, never will be. Sick of Apple trying to make some stuff that's just crap. USB is great and should be used in my opinion