Newcomer in Need of Clarification of Repo info, etc.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by TooGoodAtCOD4, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, so I understand that a repo is a storage place where you can go to install software.... I think. So then am I correct in assuming that all these sites that want you to install their "repo", like applerepo.com saying "And Do not Forget to add 'repo.applerepo.com in Installer.app' in your iPod Touch to use the Ipod Touch Apps here," after installing this I can then download whatever software their site is hosting??

Second question, so then would that mean that applerepo.com would be called the "source"? and if so, am I also understanding correctly that Cydia hosts all these repo site addresses? Meaning I can go to Cydia, browse through the many sources, click on one like the one for modmyi.com and then be able to download apps off their website?

Help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I hope I'm not just EXTREMELY confused.

TooGoodAtCOD4

addendum: since I made this thread, what does "push notification" or to "push" something mean exactly?? Thanks guys
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ..... I know just about everybody on this site (except for me. Boo.) knows the answers to these questions! Somebody please point me in the right direction...

Already used the search button, it seems like this stuff is just assumed that everyone already knows this info except for someone like me who has never owned a ipt or even searched apps on google until last week. I greatly appreciate the help
  2. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Read about push notification here-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Push_Notification_Service
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Push basically means your iPod is connected to Apple's server and receives notifications.

Take an IM app for example.

You're not in the app. You get a message. A message pops up and tells you there is a message.
  4. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok great info - thanks guys! Can anyone help me out with the first part of my post?

5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    When you download something off of a repo, you're downloading it from it's repository.

You're basically adding a server's address to your iPod. Then it connects to it and downloads files you choose.

So, yeah. When you add a repository, you're gaining access to more sites/files.
  6. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    woooord thanks bubalooshi. Ive read a few places that say something about paying just for the repo addy or paying for access to the site after you get the repo... That something that is normal or can most everyone stick with the free access sites and meet their needs?
  7. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've never heard of paying to gain access to a repo.....
    But maybe there is one.

You'll find everything you'll want in free repos.

No problem.

Please Register or Log in to view images