Newby Jaibreak Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by floridadomer, Mar 31, 2009.

1. floridadomer

floridadomer New Member

I just bought my Ipod Touch and like every I.T. Geek, I loaded as many apps as I could with in the first few hours.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I then tried to organize them and found it frustrating. So I started googling and saw the term Jailbreak. I then found this website and read a few comments. I guess I am asking for someone to give me the cliff notes on this and is it worth the risk?
    Here are some questions that I have and I apologize ahead of time, they are probably pretty basic and covered in other threads.

1.) I am assuming Jail breaking the Ipod is away to allow other apps that are not Apple approved to be put on my Ipod. Is there any other reasons to Jailbreak the Ipod?

2.) I am assuming I will be voiding any warranty by doing this? If so, is there a still away to wipe the Ipod before returning to the store that I purchased the extended warranty on?

3.) It looks like there are 100 different ways to Jailbreak this Ipod. It would seem that there would be one simple way of doing this. Any suggestions would be helpful.

4.) If I jailbreak my Ipod, is there a way to better organize some the pages. Either by categories or folders?

5.) what is the biggest pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks in advance.
    Deano
  2. Ruamrudee

Ruamrudee Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
  3. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    hey, so a lot of ur questions are good ones.. Jailbreaking is basically exploiting messups in apples devices to make them better..

so ur first question was what r some other reasons to jailbreak.
    u can theme your ipod touch with the jailbreak.. it is pretty nice. and yes a lot of the apps that you will find in the front end package, called cydia, are not apple approved, but are still fun.

2nd) supposedly u are voiding your warranty with apple.. BUT if anything goes wrong, u can just plug in your ipod into your computer, and do a factory restore. everything will be good as new.

3rd. your going to want to go untethered. this means that you will be able to boot your ipod touch like normal.. before the untethered version came out, there was the tethered version where u had to plug ur ipod into a computer and run some code in order to boot it.. well no more..

currently the best way to jailbreak this is with either Quickfreedom, or Redtool. you can find downloads for these on these forums...

4th. yes there is. in cydia there is an app called categories. this will allow you to make folders and then place apps in these folders. but be forewarned.. if u decide to go back to a normal firmware again, u need to remove the apps from the folders before restoring, otherwise they won't show up when u restore... just a little caution there. if u have to restore with a jailbroken firmware, then u can just install categories again and then u can unhide them.. no biggy

5th.

Pros: Themeing, allows for some other really cool little apps and games normally not available, and there are a few other features that u can impliment, like say putting on the phone app from the iphone. just for show of course.. if u need help with this, do pm me. and i'll walk u thru it...

cons: voiding warranty but can be fixed easily, u may experience some slight lag, just because if u theme, the processor needs to load up something beyond what its used to.. but its not very noticeable... it may get a little warm... umm... yeah... there really isn't too many cons to jailbreaking...

so i hope that this helped you. if you have anymore questions, please feel free to pm me.

and remember to say that the Fusion Dev Team helped you!

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    a lot more reading than necessary.. but ok..
  4. floridadomer

floridadomer New Member

Thank You both for all your help and input. Can you please tell me what DFU stands for?
  5. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Device Firmware Upgrade