Newbies Guide on Creating a Good Thread

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Appman, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have noticed there has been a huge amount of new users on the forum, and well, some of the threads posted could be better. Here is a short list I made with some tips on creating the perfect thread that will grab attention and get any of your questions answered quickly.

The Necessities:

1. First of all, keep your threads within the rules. (If you haven’t read them I highly recommend doing so.)

2. Search. It’s very annoying seeing the same threads pop-up with a question that has been answered many, many times over the years. So save yourself from possibly getting flamed and remember to search.

3. Grammar is key. Try to keep from abbreviating every word (example: “cn some1 hlp me I ned jailbreak!!”), and use good spelling. Also keep away from creating one huge run-on sentence. Many people think the users who post threads that look like the example above, are “n00bs” and trolls and won’t bother to answer.

4. If you have a thread announcing the release of something, remember to include links! It is understandable that you may want to be the first to make a thread with an awesome announcement (ex. Jailbreak tool, theme, app.), but most people won’t believe you if you don’t provide the proof. Also, do some research and make sure it isn’t old news.

5. Ranting. Yes, we all get upset about certain decisions, and we want to vent, just keep it in a somewhat calm and dignified manner. Going all crazy and swearing like a sailor DO NOT help, they just increase the possibility of a flamewar and a closed thread.

6. When asking a question, the more information and detail provided, the better the thread will be and the more replies you will receive.

7. Some threads are better left not posted. If you have any questions or doubts about a thread you may want to post, feel free to ask a moderator or the administrator (Bgizzle) and they can help you out. ​

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them!
    I will continue to update this thread. ​
  2. momentumhacker

momentumhacker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice write up. I expect some flaming though.
  3. Appman

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

Who ever flames answers to the mods/admin, not me. lol
  4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

It's good, but i doubt the people who need to read it will actually read it
  5. fergusoni

fergusoni Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    this is good
    i didnt kow how to do it when i first joined
    great!!
  6. Appman

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks! Glad you read it.
  7. It4Ch1

It4Ch1 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    those are some basic etiquette in forums.

Please Register or Log in to view images