newbie !

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by iamron, Oct 31, 2008.

1. iamron

iamron New Member

hi everyone...

just been given my nephews "old ? itouch" and will probably only use it for my music.
    several questions for you ....
    I'm an old fart... (pushing 50) and havn't got a clue what he means by... "it's been hacked a bit " ? !!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

he's upgraded it to 2.1... (whatever that means ? ) when I plug it into my pc (for itunes music transfer thingy) it reboots the pc... and goes on doing so , mostly when i press the big button at the bottom middle...?

need earphones.. good quality sounding ones.. the ones I have sound....well... crap !
    any tips / recomendation willl be gratefully recieved.
    many thanks...

I'll carry on trawling through all this stuff now.... I may be some time !

2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hello,
    welcome to the forums!
    ipod touches are great because of all the possibilities with them.
    when yyour nephew says "its been hacked a bit", hes most likely talking about jailbreak.
    to "jailbreak" means to modify the ipod firmware (software that makes it run)
    to allow yourself read and write file access to the touch.
    one you have jailbroken a device, their are many things you can do, like adding new games, utilities etc.
    now you say your touch is on 2.1 so that means you have appstore, and you also stated that its jailbroken, meaning you probably have an appliccation called cydia, correct? these can both used to install extra applications to the touch over wifi.
    but since you are mostly interested in music, youll need itunes to add music.
    im not really sure about your rebooting problem... youre saying that the touch reboots your PC?
    if worst comes to worst, you can always "restore" your ipod in itunes, which means wiping everything clean off the ipod and starting new, like an out-of-the-box one.

youre probably not going to want the apple earphones, but you can get some good ones from an electronics store for about $20
    to put music onto your ipod, once you plug it in to the computer, itunes will pop up...
    so next you import your music into itunes, then drag it to your ipod.

hope i helped

3. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    first off wrong section sir
    good headphones are skull candy headphones
    great quality
    welcome to the site hope you enjoy it here
  4. iamron

iamron New Member

thanks for the reply... he says he " reset it "before he handed it over ?and put back to how it should be ? whatever that was ? I did a reset on it last week... but it made no difference to the crashing prob ! and I've just seen several headphones in "richersounds".. so I'm off there in the morning !... what do you think if Sennheiser MX55 VC were applied ?...or Sennheiser CX300 Black ? I think the bud type will perform better..and might not fall out my ears so much ?
    cheers

5. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Welcome to iPod Touch Fans! Your name isn't Ron is it?

6. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No they are not. Skullcandies suck so much. They look good, and that is about it. If you want to go for some professional makes. Denon, Shure, anything around the $100+ mark are pretty good. Don't buy the V-Moda's, they are infamous for breaking easily
  7. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

welcome to ipodtouchfans forums.

anyway, go to an ipod studio, and get your ipod repaired.

after u do that, jailbreak it yourself. there are a lot of tutorials here in the forums.
  8. iamron

iamron New Member

thanks for the replies and hellos... yes my name is ron.... durr... never understood why some people make up such elaborate names to sit behind... each to their own eh ?

funny thing happened earlier tonight.. I was chatting to my mate up north, and he said I should try and plug it into the original ports in the back of my pc ?... so I did ... and bu66er me with a marrow.. it works !... no probs at all ! apparently some usb ports don't get the right power once they get extended to the front of a tower ?... first time i heard that ! but it works now... so i'm going to get a "powered" hub to try....

and I've just forked out for a pair of noise cancelling sennheiser cx500's
    so we'll see how they go....
    thanks for the help... now i'll try and get on....

9. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

did you find out what firmware youre on?
  10. iamron

iamron New Member

2.1 why does this afect things ?