Newbie who is deaf, dumb, and stupid when it comes to technology...

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by tc1stgen, Sep 18, 2009.

1. tc1stgen

tc1stgen New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Hey everyone! I am new to the forums but not new to Apple. I had a iPhone 1st gen for a while. When I first got it, I heard of jailbreaking and the opportunities to really get the most out of my device. I honestly was very worried about attempting to jailbreak because I am not all that savy when it comes to computers and technology, but I figured I would give it a whirl anyway! Well to make a long story short, I was never successful in jailbreaking my iPhone. I had to restore the device countless amount of times and finally gave up. Well my situation changed because my job provided me with a cell phone, so I had my iPhone shut off (no need to pay a cell phone bill when one is provided right), so I was just using the iPhone as an iPod. Well a friend of mine was looking to purchase a iPhone and he was willing to trade his brand new 2nd gen iTouch plus give some extra cash, so I made the deal. I have had the iTouch for about a year not, and just recently I started thinking about jailbreaking again. I figured seeing as though my firmware is 2.2.1 and that now 3X is out, there would be a pretty reliable way to jailbreak, and there was! For the 1st time I was successful and jailbroke the iTouch on the 1st try. Naturally because of my lacking skills when it comes to technology, I am pretty proud of my accomplishment but now I find myself stumped and I am looking for some help. First of all I do not have Wi-Fi at my house. My job provides me with internet as well so all I have is a Verizon aircard for my laptop. (Once again I do not see the need to pay for something, especially if work is already providing it). At work however, I do have a Wi-Fi connection but it is firewalled. I am still able to access iTunes and download apps, but I am not allowed to acces Cydia. I have had some success accessing Cydia using a Wi-Fi connection at a local coffee shop, and I have been able to download a few cool things such as loaders, sliders, and themes. I have Winterboard installed and that seems pretty cool, but there are a few areas that have me a bit comfused. First off I have downloaded these things by going to the sections area in Cydia. I have scrolled through all the different sections and some of them are obvious but others I have no idea what is contained inside. Also I have tried to download some things like games, and it says that it cannot be downloaded?! What am I doing wrong? Also because it is a little bit of a pain in the ass for me to go to a spot where there is Wi-Fi, is there anyway I can put some cool sh*t on my iTouch, without having to go through Cydia or through the internet on my iTouch? Can I do it from my computer and then transfer it to my iTouch? I have tried searching for these answers but I have not found any direct answers. Thank you for your help in advance!