Newbie wanting some starter tips

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DanielT, Feb 23, 2010.

1. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Hello all,

I want to start off by saying I am extremely computer literate... I'm a network engineer running my own consulting business and have been building and supporting computer networks, software, Operating Systems and hardware for about 15 years.

That having been said - I have stayed completely away from ANYTHING Apple for the entirety of my career.
    I have an iMac in my lab collecting dust, because none of my clientele use Apple either.

Ok - now that I've stated this, I just recently got a second-hand iPod Touch from a friend of mine because I wanted something simple for entertainment. I have a PDA phone and a Nokia N810 tablet running Maemo Linux. And I discovered that I really really like the Ipod touch!

So - as a newbie... I need some advice... just a few things I want to accomplish:

1. I adamantly refuse to install Itunes... being in the IT support business, I have seen way too many problems arise on computers due to itunes. So however I accomplish data transfer, backup, installations etc... I have to do it without Itunes. Unless it is THE ONLY way, in which case I would install itunes onto a Virtual PC or a dedicated dummy box.

2. So - what I want to be able to do is transfer data such as pictures, documents and the like onto my ipod touch. I want to be able to backup any information I enter in it as well.

3. I want to be able to install any freeware I come upon, and I haven't a clue how to do this.

Can anyone point me toward discussion threads, or websites with free software, tutorials, etc.

Thank you in advance, everyone, for any help you provide.

Dan
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. You NEED iTunes, there is no alternative

2. I recomend air sharing for documents, the ipod has a built in picture viewers

3.AppStore for any apps and games
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    For you to use it properly, you need iTunes. End of.

Throw away your prejudices and just install it. I've never once had any problems due to iTunes.
  4. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ^ same, I've never had a problem with itunes
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Plus if you want 3rd party apps you need to jailbreak. Here are just a few things you can do when you jailbreak.
  6. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Ok well then I'll install itunes onto a virtual PC or a dedicated dummy box. Although many of you have not had problems with itunes, I, in my line of work, have seen one disaster upon another with itunes... I don't need to go into the technicalities of it, so never mind about that. But if I do need it, I'll install it in a way it won't interact or harm anything else.

I'll read up that jailbreak stuff and thanks for the general info everyone.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just FYI - it is not prejudice, it is many many years of experience and many many incidents that cost my clients lots of money all because of problems caused by itunes. I respect that you are fond of it and haven't had any problems, and in most situations a person with one computer at home not attached to dozens or hundreds of other machines and servers etc. will not have any problems. But my systems' environment will not tolerate itunes.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.