Newbie user with eye-rolling simple questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Djinn252, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Djinn252

Djinn252 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm considering buying an iPod Touch 2g primarily for watching videos on my train commute to work. I've never owned a media player before - iPod or otherwise - and I am hoping that more knowledgeable 2g owners might help me out.

1) I have a library of MP3s on my desktop. I don't have iTunes installed. Do I need to use the iTunes application, or can I simply copy my MP3 files directly to the iPod? Same question applies to video files.

2) Can the 2G's wireless functionality handle WPA- or WEP-protected networks?

3) With a wireless connection, can I use the 2G for normal web browsing?

4) How versatile is the video-playback functionality? If I download "The Daily Show," is the iPod likely to tell me that it can't handle xVid or DivX or whatever was used to encode it? How "picky" is the playback software when it comes to such variables as the video resolution, etc?

5) How much "drive space" is consumed by the operating system and pre-installed apps? If I buy an 8GB model, how much free space can I expect?

I may have more questions, but I'll hold until I hear back from the experts.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Many thanks.
  2. ipodtouchhaxer

ipodtouchhaxer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Yes, you need iTunes.
    2. I believe so.
    3. Yes.
    4. It needs to be .mp4 to play. As for resolution, its pretty clear.
    5. About 7.2gb is free after putting a firmware on it. And apps don't take up a lot of space.
  3. jessikur

jessikur Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi. I'm no expert. But I am bored as I have a day off today. I can answer some of these.

1) Yes, you neeeeed iTunes.
    2) Yes, it can handled encrypted connections. Both of the ones you mentioned.
    3) Yes, you can browse the web like you normally do. 'Cept without flash player.
    4) That.. I don't know.. as I don't have anything like that on mine.
    5) I *think* if I remember correctly.. there was 7.1gb of free space from the get-go.

*edit* - That guy beat me. Dammit.
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    There's probably people here that may know a LITTLE more than me, but I think I ahve the answers to everything:

1. You should download and install iTunes, easiest way.
    2. Yes, it handles both encryption levels.
    3. Yes, but it depends on how you define normal- No flash. There is a YouTube player, though.
    4. I'm not completely sure in this one. I think the video files must be in .mov or .mp4 format.
    5. Pre-installed applications are part of the whole iPod OS. The current one takes a little less than 250MB I think, so you'd have a lot of space for installing applications and putting music or videos onto it.
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well 2G can't be jailbroken so iTunes is your option for adding and managing media.

Yes it can handle the encrypted network.

The capacity for my 16GB is 14.52 GB

The web browsing is very good with wifi. Bur keep in mind there is no flash support
  6. WhiteNova

WhiteNova New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. yes u need to use itunes.
    2. yes it can handle both
    3. yes, but only with wifi
    4. you will need to convert files to mp4 to make them work... a free program called handbrake should work for u
    5. on my 1g touch i had about 7.2 gigs after os and apps
  7. Djinn252

Djinn252 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "It needs to be .mp4 to play." Does the device come with desktop software that can be used to convert most video formats to compatible formats?
  8. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    There are lots of free softwares that you can use for this.
  9. ipodtouchhaxer

ipodtouchhaxer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Afraid not. But iTunes can convert some files. And I'm sure if you look around you can find a free program that can convert video files. There was one called iPodME. Maybe look for that.
  10. WhiteNova

WhiteNova New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    itunes is ok at doing some but it is very slow and doesnt always work. handbrake is a better option and will actually work.