Newbie question: Error 11 on Mac / Error -3 on Windows -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chacon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. chacon

chacon New Member

I am looking at a black-screened iPod Touch.

The last thing I saw was the spinning wheel of death. I had just finished an upgrade to 2.0 when it happened and, yes, it was JB 1.1.4 before I upgraded and yes, I forgot to avoid the backup of the prior profile (which I have screwed up before -- yet recovered from by putting the device back into DFU mode and starting over).

This time when I tried to put my device into DFU mode, the screen just faded to black and I got/get the above errors.

In Hardware Profile, the computer shows the device on the USB Bus as "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)".

I can't ssh or ftp in as the device does not appear to have an IP Address assigned (I have even used IP Scanner to look for one).

Any other way to access a USB device?

Or is this iPod Touch well and truely bricked?

-- Jerry
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Try reinstalling Apple Mobile Device.

Backing up all your previous settings before upgrading shouldn't affect the updating process.
  3. chacon

chacon New Member

Thanks for the thought. I tried that. I also tried to resurrect on 3 different Macs (2 PBPros and 1 iMac) and one VMWare windows emulation.

Any other thoughts?

BTW, I think the problem is on the iPod Touch itself...not the Mac. Any idea on how to access an iPod that is recognized by the system (on the USB Bus) but stuck behind an error 11 in iTunes?

-- Jerry
  4. chacon

chacon New Member

Anyone else? Or is this just too hard of a question / challenge for this forum?
  5. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I assume you have tried restarting, right? Because my iPod was stuckin dfu, and restarting put it into recovery mode. Then you could kick out of recovery mode with iliberty or something.
  6. chacon

chacon New Member

I have a black screen. It does not respond (i) to pressing either button or (ii) to plugging into either a PC or a Mac -- other than to cause the computer to issue the errors in the title of this thread.
  7. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well, it is detected by your computer. press and hold both buttons for like 6 seconds. Then press the top button. it might go into restore mode.
  8. chacon

chacon New Member

First, I have never seen this key combo before...so thanks.

It works...there were a lot of factors that went into it (the battery had completely drained, I used a computer that has never been upgraded to iTunes 7.7, once recognized, I forced restored to 1.1.1 (which I still had in the Library), and I did NOT restore from backup) so I can't identify which was the key factor, but absent proof to the contrary, I will credit you with the solution. Thanks a bunch!

-- Jerry
  9. david77123

david77123 New Member

This isnt helping ofr me, but I had all the same symptoms.