Newbie might want an iTouch and need knowledge first

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge New Member

I am so impressed with the iPod Touch's ability to handle web pages, I am considering getting one; but, I have a lot of questions and every time I find an answer, I have more questions.

I don't know a less wordy way to express my concerns so I apologize for taking too much of your time (if you don't mind reading all of this).

I have no knowledge of Mac. I am strictly a PC guy and not interested in "converting". I make my living servicing PCs and Networks. I am currently using a Palm Treo 680 SmartPhone that does everything and more that my backup Palm TX does. The TX does a great job of everything but web pages. You've gotta' be desperate to view a web page on it.

I have accumulated almost 900 troubleshooting documents, some in MS Word format and some in RTF. Some have tables and pictures. My Palm does a good job with those, both for editing and viewing. I need to be able to both view and edit documents on the Touch and synchronize those documents with the PC.

I have a list of about 1200 contacts, currently in the Palm Desktop program in the PC; but, I could change that to Outlook if necessary. I must be able to make changes daily to the contacts and synchronize that with the 'Touch.

I have an event calendar that gives me alarms for events at user-specified intervals that can be minutes, hours or days before the event. That also is a must.

From what I read so far, there is a "jailbreak" program that allows one to install third-party applications. Might that help me?

And lastly, where are some good places on the internet that I can see what applications are available and get some detail about their features and capabilities?

As an aside: I am not interested in AT&T as my cell provider so I have no use at all for an iPhone. I currently have unlimited use nationwide with T-mobile for $49.95 and AT&T cannot come close to that.
  2. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    u can unlock the iphone to use it with tmobile if im correct
  3. jabb

jabb New Member

In safari, You can view maximum 1/2 tabs at a time without ipod reloading them. Take a good look in this limitation before going for a Touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge New Member

This is my understanding about that subject:
    T-mobile is GSM. AT&T is CDMA. These services use different radio frequencies and different encryption schemes. It is my understanding that a phone manufactured for GSM cannot be adapted for CDMA and visa versa.

I wish I were wrong as I have a Palm Treo 755p (Verizon) here that my son gave me. He used it for only about 6 weeks, kept in in a gel case and you cannot tell it from new, even on very close examination. He gave it to me thinking I could use it as a backup to my Palm Treo 680. I wound up ordering another 680 this week. I've gotten so reliant on this thing and all it does for me, I would be naked without it.
    • sends callers I put into an Ignore list, straight to voicemail
    • Records calls at the press of a button or every call indiscriminately if I choose
    • does individual ringtones for everyone in my contact list, if I choose
    • does voice memos
    • records meetings up to hours long
    • plays videos and displays pictures
    • views and edits documents in MS Word format and a dozen other formats
    • has a 240,000-word dictionary
    • has an egg timer that goes up to twenty-four hours in one-minute intervals
    • automatically enters my credit card for international calls
    • and more
    Maybe you can now see why I'm not jumping to change my phone.
    Is there no way to change that limitation? Is there another browser? Perhaps a third-party one? Jailbreak, maybe?
  5. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have accumulated almost 900 troubleshooting documents, some in MS Word format and some in RTF. Some have tables and pictures. My Palm does a good job with those, both for editing and viewing. I need to be able to both view and edit documents on the Touch and synchronize those documents with the PC. - The iPod doesn't come with any document reader like that by default, but I'm pretty sure there are some available to download from the iTunes store. I have a list of about 1200 contacts, currently in the Palm Desktop program in the PC; but, I could change that to Outlook if necessary. I must be able to make changes daily to the contacts and synchronize that with the 'Touch. - Yep you can sync Outlook contacts to your iPod from iTunes I have an event calendar that gives me alarms for events at user-specified intervals that can be minutes, hours or days before the event. That also is a must. - Same as above, though I think it requires your calendar to be in Outlook From what I read so far, there is a "jailbreak" program that allows one to install third-party applications. Might that help me? - That's called Cydia, and yes, you'll probably find it useful, for adding useful apps/features to the iPod And lastly, where are some good places on the internet that I can see what applications are available and get some detail about their features and capabilities? - If you download iTunes from the apple website, you can use the iTunes store, which is where you can buy apps from (though some are free). You can have a browse through that and find out more about some. As for 3rd party apps, I'm not sure of any websites where you can look at those, perhaps someone else might be able to help you. As an aside: I am not interested in AT&T as my cell provider so I have no use at all for an iPhone. I currently have unlimited use nationwide with T-mobile for $49.95 and AT&T cannot come close to that. - I think (I have an iPod, not an iPhone so I'm not sure) That you can unlock your iPhone if it's Jailbroken, and use it with any provider. However, if your current mobile is good enough, I'd recommend just getting the iPod, like I did
  6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge New Member

Thanks for the comments. You are very helpful.

I was at the Apple Store yesterday and the person who help me couldn't come up with any apps either for MS Word documents. I don't want to do heavy editing with the 'Touch. I just need to be able to add a line or two occasionally or change a word. Nearly all the editing will be done on the PC.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unlike Windowsmobile there's no real Office suite on the iPhone or iPod Touch. You can find a number of different viewers but in terms of word processing and spreadsheet functionality the iPod Touch doesn't compare at the moment...

No problem with that - the ─░pod Touch OS syncs with Outlook via iTunes and you can update & add contacts on your device.

Yes, thsi functionality is present. Outlook syncs the calendar with your device via iTunes.

Depends what you need it for. It adds new functionality such as theming and other hacks & tweaks to add new functionality etc. but at the expense of stability, speed and, often, battery life.

Right here at IPTF or Apple's own site.

Ok

The iPhone is an okay phone, but not a great one.. you sacrifice some of the mobile phone functionality for the other extras you get... e.g. no individual ringtones, rubbish SMS app... aside from the Office suite functionality you mention above the iPhone does provide much of the rest. However, if you are happy with your two devices then I wouldn't been in a hurry to switch.. You'll find yourself put out for some time while you get used to the new and heavier constraints of the iPhone... For work use stick with what you've got, for personal use get an iPhone or an iPod Touch. Apple certainly hasn't carved their mark on the business use segment as yet... they haven't even got push email up and running properly yet...
  8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge New Member

The 'Touch is beginning to disappoint me. Like you stated above, Apple hasn't geared the 'Touch, or the Phone for that matter, to the business world.

If it weren't for the documents problem, it might be useful to me. I just don't think I want to spend $400 and still have to carry an additional gadget. If the 'Touch did my documents, I might be able to adapt everything else well enough to dump the Palm TX. But, maybe another day.
  9. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There's always Google Documents, but I'm not sure how good that is.
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Stick with what you've got for now and keep an eye on the new Apple tech. OS 3 will be released in a few months and shoudl herald better business functionality. And the new iPhone and iPod Touch models expected later this year may have more promise as business tools.

I myself would love just to have my work emails on my iPhone. I bought a decent data packet for this purpose, but it's of little use without push working properly and they won't reconfigure the network here to accomodate iPhones unless I can prove it's worth their while... so I'm stuck lugging around a work WinCE device just for the purpose...