Newbie Ipod touch Questions!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Tkav08, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Tkav08

Tkav08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello all!!!!!!!!!

First off I'm going to apologise if I have started the 1000,000th on this subject but I've searched and still am totally lost!!!

Ive Just Jailbroken my 16gb Ipod touch (1st generation) using quickpwn.

I followedthe instructions and it worked but I still have the following questions:

* I clicked the option to install 'installer' and 'Cydia'...where are they on the Ipod? and how do i use them

* I saw some themes and stuff on these wonderful forums..and downloaded some of them..how do I go about putting them on my Ipod? Do I have to download other programs to install them?

If I have posted this in the wrong place Im sorry!!!

Thanks Guys!!!!!

T
  2. Dloader Girl

Dloader Girl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Installer and Cydia should be on your springboard if you used the official QuickPwn and not Morphey's modified version.

They're applications that let you download more stuff such as games, themes, tweaks etc. Sorta like the app store app - only its been in the scene longer =P

If you have downloaded themes FROM your computer and want to transfer them onto your iPod, you need to have an SSH program that lets you access the file directory of your iPod and you have to manually place them in your 'Winterboard/Summerboard' apps (applications that you download to modify themes on the iPod)

If you're new at this, i suggest that you start of slow, looking through installer/cydia for pacakges that interest you and then start from there.

Alternatively, do more searches.
  3. Tkav08

Tkav08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the answer!

ok so now heres my stupid question of the day...SSH???
  4. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

SSH lets you access the files in your iPod.
    Definetly a must.
    To do that , you need OpenSSH from Cydia , then download WinSCP for Windows , Cyberduck for mac.
    Just search SSH or something.
  5. debugman

debugman New Member

I'd recommend you be very careful about what you install and how you use you newly jailbroken iPod. Be cautious about installing items, and ALWAYS read more info. Make sure you know what you're putting on your iPod. Once you get used to it, then you can start experimenting. You'll have to restore eventually, because even if you're careful something might still go wrong. And a hint: 2.0 and higher, DO NOT use Installer unless you don't mind restoring. Cydia is definitely the way to go. And research ever hurts.
  6. Tkav08

Tkav08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you guys for all your help!!

I restored and used quickpwn and this time installer and Cydia..browsed both of them and did find Cydia to have much more variety. Ive found some themes on this forum which i may try uploading after i research these guys some more...

are there any good tutorials out there for uploading themes using Winscp?? ive installed and was able to connectto my ipod but would like some sort of guide to follow so i dont end up frying my ipod!

thank a million again guys!!!!!!
  7. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It's simple. Open WinSCP, input this:

username: root
    password: alpine
    port: 22
    protocol: SFTP

Then, navigate to /var/stash/Themes, and drop the folders you download in there. Then, open WinterBoard and choose the options.

Oh yeah, you cannot brick an iPod. The restoring option will always be available unless you physically abuse it.
  8. Tkav08

Tkav08 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh this is cool!!!!!!!

wow themes look so nice!!

I think im confusing myself even more unzipping files through winrar (im probably unzipping the folders that have the readmes and stuff too and drag and dropping them in which is why some arent working)

Thank you so much!!!
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

The system is simple for themes. In the Themes directory I told you, ther should be the theme name.

After opening the name of the themes' folder, there should be a Wallpaper.png, and optionally a StatusBar.png and Dock.png, and a folder called Icons. Inside Icons, there should be APPNAME.png for a bunch of apps.

Optionally, there can be a Bundles, Folders, and UIImages folders as well.

Oh, also realize that not all themes have wallpapers, docks, a lot of icons, etc. Some themes only support default applications and have no wallpaper.

Also (lol), dragging the theme name to the top in winterboard will make it first priority and apply whatever is in the theme over the current one.