Newbie here...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crappie_fisherman, Nov 4, 2008.

1. crappie_fisherman

crappie_fisherman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay...

We've decided to get our two younger daughters (9 and 11) each a touch for Christmas.

Mainly for video viewing while we travel long distances pulling our camper on summer vacations over the portable DVD players and mp3 players we haul all over the country...

I have a couple of questions for you folks.

First...we have a large DVD collection of their favorite movies.

Our PC's are Window XP based machines.

It seems that folks like handbrake for ripping movies from DVD to AVI. I have never used that program...or any other like it...but my question is do I simply load handbrake (or some of the other SW packages) and then it walks me thru what I need to do to rip the movie to my machine?

Second question. Since we travel a lot for many long hours in the truck. Does the touch come with AC adapters in the package or is this an additional purchased item? I already have an inverter in the truck that I carry with us...so I was just curious if you get the AC cord when you buy the touch.

Sorry to ask what has likely been asked probably 1000 times in the past. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we buy and then before the kids get these for Christmas and then dad has to show THEM how to work something I have never worked with before.

Oh yeah...is there anything else I should know about before taking the plunge on two of these?

Are there any good video tutorial sites I can go watch over lunch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you want the full entire DVD, all 4 - 8 GB of it, you'll have to make a complete image of it by using either IMGBurn or CDBurnerXP. Both are Free software. If you want to put them on the iPod Touches for viewing, just use Handbrake and the presets that they give.

[QupteSecond question. Since we travel a lot for many long hours in the truck. Does the touch come with AC adapters in the package or is this an additional purchased item? I already have an inverter in the truck that I carry with us...so I was just curious if you get the AC cord when you buy the touch.[/Quote]

According to Apple's website, it comes with:

• iPod touch
    • Earphones
    • USB 2.0 cable
    • Dock adapter
    • Polishing cloth
    • Quick Start guide

So no charger. You'll have to buy your own. They're small and 30 dollars.

Don't worry. Its REALLY easy to use. There is barely a learning curve at all. Just sit back and relax while you use it. You'll get used to it within a few days. Most likely less than a week.

You don't really need videos to learn how to use it since its that easy to use. But you can read up a bit on it here http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch/
  3. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well to your second question, you will have to buy it separately, but the way to power the ipods is to plug them into basically anything using the USB cable that is provided with their ipods, so if you have anything that could plug into an outlet and has a USB port, then you can power and charge the ipods, if not, then any near retail store should have something like that( a word of advice is dont buy apples, because their just the same as everybody elses but more expensive) if you want to know a good one, i recently bought a Music Power Duet at a wallmart for $15, see the link for more: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5750794
  4. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the info on the charger...I'll check WallyWorld for that duet charger this way when we are on long trips...and I'm talking 12 hours at a time in the truck...they can charge their touches.

On the ripping of movies...I don't want to rip the whole DVD...just the movie chapters...I assume handbrake will walk me thru what I need to do?...I am pretty literate on the computer so I'm not worried per say...just want to make sure I have all the right software loaded and ready to go. Having never used handbrake is why I'm asking if it can do what I am hoping it can do...

Thanks again for answering questions I'm sure you have answered many times before.

Oh yeah...without opening the packages...is there a way to know what software version these have?...we're buying them from Target...

Joe.
  5. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

Omg Spoilage
  6. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Spoiled as in I spoil my kids?...not that it is any of your business...but...I'm very very fortunate that financially I CAN give them and my family things. If you call that spoiling...well then I guess I am guilty. I also take my family on vacations burning massive amounts of fuel in our V10 Ford Excursion towing a 35' hitch to bumper travel trailer all over the country...You can't take it with you and why not enjoy life if I am able? So I guess I am spoiled because I burn excess fuel, have a V10 and a travel trailer and take vacations...multiple vacations each summer???...hmmm...

Spending time as a family traveling our great beautiful country is what we do...the memories we have made in the last few years while our girls are young is something that will stay with them for the rest of their lives...so if I choose to give them a means to watch movies and listen to music and playing games while spending 12 hour days driving to our vacations...I really don't see how that is your concern now...
  7. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow, Excursions are bleeping georgeous vehicles. Nice ride.

Anyway, I think thats a great idea to get them each an iPod. (Doesnt the Excursion have a DVD player?) I can understand wanting to "rip" the DVDs to the iPod, but this takes a lot of capacity on the Touch, so take that into consideration. I have tried Handbrake and it didnt work for me, but thats just me.
  8. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks on the Excursion...we really like it as we travel many miles and many hours in her for our family vacations...over 18,000 towing miles in the last 3 summers alone!

Our Ex does not have a built in DVD player. We got the kids portable DVD players back in '05 when we got the Ex...so we do have those...I was just trying to simplify what we pack and carry.

I understand the input on taking a lot of room on the touch for each movie...I'll have to play with what works I guess.

Games and MP3 players would be a big improvement for them and movies would be a plus so I'll do some experimenting before Christmas...I'm going to get Itunes loaded on our machines in preparation...and like I said...I'll experiment with ripping movies.

Question...do I have to move my music files over to ITunes?...all of my ripped music currently resides as .wma files...is that format okay?...I ripped them all with windows media player.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback and help!

Joe.
  9. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow, lol i thought my parents were the only ones that called WallMart WallyWorld
    lol cool

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Umm, I assume the .wma files are stored on a local hard drive in the machine? If this is the case, you can open iTunes and click File, then Import Folder to Library (assuming that the files are in one, central folder.) I think you may have to use iTunes to convert the files to something iTunes native. Not 100% sure on that though.