Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ohfoohy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  2. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Just go back to XP. Unless you're a coding/networking enthusiast, there's no point in using Linux. Even if you get your problems fixed, you'll be amazed at the amount of apps that aren't for linux, plus the amount of ported apps that don't work as good as expected.

My suggestion? If you're in the mood for a new OS, downgrade to XP, and find a way online to upgrade to Windows 7.
  3. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What's the difference between windows 7 and xp? Can I dual boot with windows 7?
  4. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Check out the Wikipedia article.

Windows 7, at most, is a very heavily tweaked, upgraded, and modified version of Windows Vista. Imagine the jump from OS X Tiger to OS X Leopard.Windows 7's main "improvements" over XP and Vista include hardware performance, CPU/Memory usage, and speed in terms of startup/shutdown/internet connection/file transfer or deletion.

It's most visible "upgrade" is its GUI, which is a slightly better-looking version of Vista's. Instead of the classic Windows taskbar, W7 has its own Dock, which (in my opinion) works better than Mac OS X's. There are a crapload of other things like revamped menus, a built-in ISO burner, and other things. Just look at its Wiki article.

You can dual boot Windows 7 on a fresh new partition. Just don't try and upgrade over XP, because MS (for some reason) didn't allow it.
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Download the themes from gnome-look.org, keep them in the .tar.gz form. Then in system-preferences-appearance, you can install themes. Sound.. your hardware might not be supported by default. Go to forums.ubuntu.com and see if you can't get help.
  6. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pfft, that's bogus. I tried Windows 7 and was surprised to find that many games/programs didn't even work...

And yes there is a point in using Linux, for example I've got an old laptop with 1GB of RAM and I get great performance on Ubuntu (everything opens quickly, no freezing or unexpected errors), however on Windows 7 I frequently get errors, programs take ages to open and etc. Now I'm no coding/networking enthusiast and I still see many advantages of Linux. That's what distros like Ubuntu are aiming at - destroying the myth that Linux is some kind of uber professional/hard programmers' type thing. If it wasn't for the fact that Microsoft dominates the market then Linux would be just as popular as Mac OS or Windows...

Yeah just had to say that, because it's really annoying when people claim Linux doesn't function as well or is inferior to other OSs, it just doesn't necessarily do that out of the box. But once it's all set up, it works just as well as Windows.
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    How is Linux only for "coding/network enthusiasts". Ubuntu does absolutely everything that I need it to do. BTW Cam Ubuntu has tons of applications.

Edit: OP I may be able to help if you give your specs.