newb questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gt5hz, Aug 17, 2009.

1. gt5hz

gt5hz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just got an ipod touch 2nd gen.

1. Except for a couple of songs, it's in the condition of when it was purchased meaning no new updates. What "version" does this mean I have and what does it mean for...

2. viruses. How worried should I be about them and how susceptible am I? What can I do to protect the ipod touch?

3. I also have some remixed songs I downloaded from Ares (a p2p program, similar to Limewire?) not found on itunes. The way I transfer these songs is by locating the files and clicking and dragging the songs onto itunes. Is this a safe way to transfer the songs?

4. Transferring video clips is another concern. I've some videos found on Ares once again, I'd like on my ipod touch. I plan to transfer them the same way as I've transferred the songs. Is this the right method and WILL IT WORK PROPERLY OR will I need to convert the formats and all that junk?
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    1. This is your software version. 3.0 is the most up to date.
    2. No
    3. Don't pirate media.
    4. Same as above
  3. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    oh come on!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Go to the menu bar and you'll see there add file / folder to library... it'll be easier to add an entire folder rather than adding media one by one..
  4. webmastir

webmastir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  5. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You will need to convert the videos with a program like HandBrake or Videora (HandBrake is better), but like Shåwa said, do not pirate media and support the singer/producer of the piece.
  6. Cokegod

Cokegod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. If you just bought it so it's nothing you have to worry about.
    2. If you don't jailbreak your iPod so there is no chance you will get anything like viruses, but also after jailbreaking your iPod if you don't download stuff from unknown sources so you won't get anything like viruses.
    3. Yes this is, just make one folder with all your songs and drag this folder to iTunes so you will get all your songs there.
    4. You need to convert your videos to mp4 format if you want your iPod to read those files. There are many programs that do that, search in google.

And I really advice you to jailbreak your iPod, you can download much more things and customize almost everything on your iPod. Search the forum for a guide for that.
  7. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Easy way to always know your SW version, first way is to go in your iPod and do this. Settings>General>About. Your SW version is displayed next to the word "Version". You could also plug it in a look at it via iTunes. In iTunes go to Devices>Your Device. On the page that shows look at the number next to Software Version, thats your software version of course.

2. No risk unless its Jailbroken, even then very little risk if you use well known sources.

3. Easiest way is to just drag and drop the folder that holds all the music.

4. The videos will be able to transfer over if they are in .mp4 .m4v and .mov formats. There are many different ways you can convert your files. Just use google to look for a free, not trial (since most trials will only convert a few minutes of the whole video), video converter.
  8. snowlover

snowlover New Member

Also a newbie with a very similar question. Not a thief, but would like to load some of MY OWNED vids on my touch for those long 12 hour full day swim meets. I used Mac the ripper to save Toy Story and it seemed to finish, but when I tried videora and it could not "find" the video data, even though it was definalty in the folder I created.

Sorry to hi-jack, but very relevant to the OP question.
  9. ipodtouchpwns

ipodtouchpwns New Member

I would say that Handbrake is a much better way to go for ripping DVDs (that you own, of course). Most DVDs can rip straight in to Handbrake. It's only the newer DVDs that require you rip with MacTheRipper and then convert the Video_TS folder.
  10. gt5hz

gt5hz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Of course. Thanks for the help guys.

Also another question, I don't have a cover yet. When I hold the itouch for a while the back starts to get hot - maybe it's just my body temperature. But in any event, does anyone have any reccomendations for a good cover? I mean, I'm not looking for pay more than $10 CDN. I was just going to go to a chinese mall in Scarborough (anyone CDNs here? Pacific Mall

) and get a cheap one ($6 - $10). But if it'll affect how it breaths or whatever, anything that might harm it, I'll get a better one. So brands and materials are helpful suggestions.