New user..... wifi alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davek, Dec 1, 2008.

1. davek

davek New Member

First time poster.....
    I just bought a 16g touch..... Wow. What an incredible, well built unit.
    Love the feel, the ease of use, a great interface.
    I'm really impressed with it, and it works beautifully to replace my Palm PDA.

until...

I take it to work, where I need to use it the most.

My workplace doesn't have any wifi networks to allow me to sync my toodledo list, calendar or notes.

With my palm, I could sync through a cable to my pc, and then have up-to-date data in my handheld, but as far as I can see, I don't have a similar alternative if I do not have access to wifi. Is that true? I've spent alot of time looking into alternatives, and I don't see an answer. I hope I've just been asking the wrong question.

Anyone in a similar situation?
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

iPod Touch only supports Wi-Fi connection, but if you get an iPhone you can have Wi-Fi and 3G/EDGE.
  3. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if you had an iphone 3G, you would be able to use 3G network. Otherwise, theres no way to access the internet without wifi
  4. davek

davek New Member

Wow! that was an incredible fast response. Thanks (even though I don't like the answer).

This may end up going back to the store.
  5. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Would it be possible to buy a simple, cheap router for your work for that purpose?
  6. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

If your work computers are laptops or desktops with wireless cards, then create an Ad-hoc network/connection on one of the wireless equipped computers. Then your iPod can connect to the Ad-Hoc and use the computers internet connection.

This is what I do when at home, as I live in a rural location and I'm stuck on Dial-up (have sympathy.. lol) where there are literally zero high speed options. Just flip on the laptop which is connected to my entire theater system etc, turn on the wireless and I can surf the web/check mail while around the house and use the remote application to control my music playing on my laptop from my iPod.

You definitely need to be creative to find solutions to these issues.

NOTE: Secure the ad-hoc connection with a password/encryption as if you have any files being shared, anyone will be able to get them if they can just connect up to the ad-hoc.
  7. davek

davek New Member

That would not fly with IT.

This is an interesting possibility... I do have a laptop with wireless capability, but being new to the wireless world, I wasn't aware of the option (which is why I posted here).

I'll check that out tomorrow.

I can relate to the frustrations of dialup. We just finally got wireless internet at home (rural life) last week. 3 teenagers simultaneously sharing a dial-up connection was good for teaching patience.

thanks
  8. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

I sync my calenders and contacts with outlook..if that helps
  9. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

Dear god, that's not just a teaching experience it's inhumane cruelty to parents.. lol..

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've tried to get the wireless internet options as well, in fact there's a tower only 1KM away from my home. I called to get it and the techs came to test for a signal and they didn't even bother testing! They knocked on my door and said "not a chance, the tower is pointing the other direction".. I think I need to go up there with some wrenches and screw drivers, loosen that clamp on the broadcasting dish and turn it my direction (it's fastened to a pole). lol..

My brother in town, only 5 minutes away has highspeed and he's always rubbing salt in my wounds about it too..

But yeah, the Ad-Hoc should work perfectly. Just connect your laptop up to an internet connection, wired or wireless. Then create an Ad-Hoc connection, make sure to encrypt it with WEP or WPA (I find it works better with WEP, which isn't the BEST choice... but ANYTHING is better then nothing right?). Then when you go to your WiFi in your iPod you should see the Ad-Hoc connection, it'll be exactly what you named it on the PC.

If you're on Vista or XP, and check out CNET's web site, they have a video and step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Let me know if it works out!
  10. davek

davek New Member

Well, I got the Ad hoc network running between my pc and touch, as the touch finds the network no problem.

My touch would not communicate with the outside world, though. I'm beginning to think it is the corporate firewalls which are blocking me.

I set my network connection properties to share with other computers. Are there any other settings that I'd be missing?

Running PC with XP.

Any help is greatly appreciated...