New User - Request WiFi Assistance

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by itsybitsy2, May 5, 2009.

1. itsybitsy2

itsybitsy2 New Member

Hi all,
    bought my father a 2nd generation 16gb Ipod Touch for his birthday and love the little thing. One problem though, seemingly one which has been an issue for many other users. He has updated the firmware to the most recent version.

We are unable to connect to my fathers home wireless network - ISP AOL (don't laugh!), D-Link DG834PN router, WEP encryption (due to old desktop which does not support WPA2). Father's laptop and desktop both connect wirelessly without any problem. Have entered and re-entered (many times) the security code. Have rebooted the Touch and the router multiple times. Have tried changing the router to WPA2-PSK security (at the expense of the old desktop). Nothing seems to work. The Touch can see the network and gets a strong signal, shows as connected to the network but cannot access any of the internet apps such as Safari, ITunes, etc. The Touch settings are DHCP and the IP Address and Subnet Mask are displayed but there is nothing in the Router or DNS fields. HTTP Proxy is turned to Off.

I don't think it is a problem with the Touch as we have since tested it on our own network and it worked as soon as we set it up - ISP plusnet, Linksys WAG160N router, WPA2-PSK router security.

Have read the many threads here and elsewhere on the internet regarding this problem and have followed advice foung but with the same result. The only thing we haven't yet tried is restoring the Touch but as it works fine on our own home network is that likely to have any positive effect? Are there any known issues with AOL and these devices? Does the Touch need a 108n router

Would appreciate any help and/or advice from seasoned users out - thank you very much in advance.
  2. 123456789bryan

123456789bryan New Member

I've been able to connect to just about every connection I've tried , not sure what the problem would be...

But no the touch doesnt need wireless N its works on G/B
  3. itsybitsy2

itsybitsy2 New Member

I have now tried a full restore with no gain. Still works on our own home network but not on my father's. Am at a total loss. Our next move will be to take our own router to my father's house and see if it works through that router. His router is 2 years old but his laptop and desktop and our laptops all work through that wireless connection....curious

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Try updating the firmware on your router.
  5. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You bought your dad an iPod Touch o.o
    How old are you?
  6. ipodtouchpwnd69

ipodtouchpwnd69 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats kinda rude to ask that i mean i dont mean to sound like your mom or anything though haha but that could be pretty offensive. Dont worry im 12.

I have head a few things like this before. All of them from dlink and belkin routers but i haven't found any answer on how to fix them. I would recommend just buying a cheap router. Try dynex i have that and its great and cheap.
  7. itsybitsy2

itsybitsy2 New Member

Sorry, should have mentioned that was the first thing we tried. Router software is up to date.

and...

to eladc.....father is a 70 year old gizmo addict and loves his new toy!! As for how old I am.....well you should be able to make a rough guess in the general region

to ipodtouchpwnd69....purchasing a new router is the only other thing we can think of to do. His wireless signal seems to vary in strength from one minute to the next and sometimes the Touch can't see the network at all so I think we are fairly convinced that the router is the problem.

Will update this post to let you know how we get on when we change the router (to something other than Belkin or DLink by the looks of it). Thanks to everyone for your advice, much appreciated

8. KaZzA13

KaZzA13 New Member

Hi my lil' bro had the exact same problem and it took me days to find the answer...

Open settings and hit Wifi,
    Click your connection
    click the 'Static' Tab
    enter in an ip address *You can find this by going on the computer open control panel, Network Connections, Right click the connection, 'Properties' then the last tab it will say 'IP Address: 192.168.x.z' x usually being either 1 or 0. then change z to a number between 5 & 50 and that is the ip address you must enter in the static box*keep the properties box open, now where it says subnet mask this is most likely '255.255.255.0' router is your '192.168.x.1' x is 1 or 0. again found in the properties box, and your dns should be the same as your router.*

Hope it Helpalydiddalydoodeled

9. ipodtouchpwnd69

ipodtouchpwnd69 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would recommend dynex. I have had much luck with dynex, there cheap and nice quality and features. but try what the post says right before mine i think that might fix your problem quicker.
  10. dbirl528

dbirl528 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was having the same problem with my new touch. I called Apple support and they had me reset my network settings on the touch then power the touch down and then reset my wireless router by unplugging the power from it for about 30 seconds. Once I did this I was able to go to my Wi-Fi settings and find my network the put in my encryption key password, all is well now. Hope this helps.