New user Q's (bear with me ;)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hi guys, haven't long bought my ipod touch, and did the jail break on it as advised

Please Register or Log in to view images

ok, what can i do with it? basically i'm new to the Touch and am pretty un-aware of the fun i can get out of it, so hopefully this thread will help me and a few other ipodtouch nubes out.

if these questions can be answered by a forum search, then please say so. there's so much in these forums i could spend all day looking.

basically, to start......

1) when browsing web pages i cant view MOV or WMV animation files, or basically anything other than MP4 files. Can this be rectified? can i download any plugins to help me out?

2) if i see an iphone application or add-on (say like ibeer or imunchies) can i use them on my Touch? and how?

3) no Flash on the Touch? (EDIT - nope

)

4) games. how? can i find games like Sonic the hedgehog for example?

5) whats the best file manager, and where to find/download it? i have "Finder" installed, but it's not the most intuitive package i've ever used.

5) general content - where to find and how to install?

I'm pretty un-technically minded, but want to make the most of my ipodTouch. I just dont really know what i can do with it now.

As i say, it's all new to me and i haven't even seen a beginner's thread like this in these forums. it might be useful. Flame me if you like, (i'm a forum veteran in other forums so i'm not new to forums in general), but you can only ask.

These forums were recommended to me, so i hope to make the best of them. so far, i've used your help doing jail break and a couple of other things. All i want to do now is have fun

Hello, and thank you

2. bulldozer246

bulldozer246 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Usually, a forum search is best, especially for a beginner topic, as these are quite common. Nonetheless, I have some free time, so I'll try to help you out. (BTW, you have two question #5's

)

1) So far, nobody has been editing safari, so what you get from apple will be all you'll get.

2) From my experience, iPhone apps and iPod Touch apps are interchangeable, unless the app deals with certain system files (like customize) or with a cellular connection (Phone, duh...

). Check their website or this forum for compatability questions. They can be installed the same way that they are installed on the iPhone, usualy through the installer app.

3) Flash? I wish

4) Games? We have a whole subforum for games! Some games are made for the iPod, and some are playable with the use of an emulator. Currently, there are three emulators available: NES, GBA, and PSX. Finding games for them can get kind of sticky since you can only legally use public domain games. I think the Bigboss repository has a ROM pack you can download from installer.
    installing NES - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18183
    installing repos - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8180 (scroll down for the tutorial)

5) I haven't really had a use for a file manager, but I also have finder.

6) If you don't have the iPhone apps yet, read this:
    - Without a computer - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11330
    - With a computer (and wireless network) - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659

Installer is usually the preferred way to find and install new apps, after you add some new repos. You can always check here first to be sure that it won't mess up you iPod. We've already had our first malicious software for the iPod touch, so my first piece of advice is:

REMOVE SOURCE jmwiki.com FROM INSTALLER. IT IS A MALICIOUS SOURCE!
    DO NOT INSTALL 1.1.3 PREP!

also, another beginners guide that's more thorough if you need it:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8404

Good luck and begin enjoying your iPod Touch!
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. Nope - you can only view the movie formats supported by Apple at this time (maybe after the SDK is released others will be made available). List of supported types are on the Apple specs page for the iPod Touch.

2. Yes, for the most part. Applications that use features specific to the iPhone (e.g., SMS, camera, etc.) obviously don't work. Some that should work (like iPhoneHome) also don't work. I'd say a good 95% of the apps do, however.

3. Nope - let's not get into that discussion...

4. Games. Well, there's an NES emulator and a GBA emulator and a PSX emulator. Plus many native games (cards, yahtzee, etc.). Go look in the Applications forum and look at the Ultimate List of Sources for all the Installer sources and associated programs.

5. Finder is about as good as it gets, other than using CyberDuck or WinSCP on your own platform.

5. The Ultimate List of Sources in the Applications forum - look there and you'll be SWAMPED with apps to install...
  4. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    thank you. helped a great deal