New User Needs Help Packing for Costa Rica

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ktuck, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ktuck

ktuck New Member

We're leaving for Costa Rica on Friday. With wifi available in our room, I decided to skip the laptop and try using a Touch as an alternative.

Yesterday I went to Costco and bought a 16GB 2nd generation. Started to get to know it last night and this morning and realized that I don't have nearly enough time to get everything sorted out by Friday.

So, I'm looking for advice - what recommendations do you have for setting up my Touch over the next four days? I've already installed the most critical application; the carpenter's level, and some not-so-critical stuff like google mobile and Kindle. But, I'm concerned that I'll be unprepared for something, like having location sensitive stuff (Hulu?) that doesn't work in Costa Rica.

There's no way I can put as much time into this thing as I'd like before I go. I've read through a couple of the sticky threads and they've given me even more ideas to explore. I'm trying to winnow the list down to things that I'll actually have time to setup and learn to use.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

1) Have extra power (some sort of universal charger or battery dongle) that insures I won't run out of power.

2) Have entertainment (music, movies, TV) for the 14 hours of traveling starting Friday evening. (Hopefully free whenever possible.)

3) Gmail looks like it works fine, so email is covered unless there are some aps that I should know about. My wife is Outlook-based at work, so I'm hoping the Microsoft Exchange option will deliver her email.

4) Use Skype or Fring(?) to use my Touch as a phone. That will include finding a good deal on some sort of microphone/earbuds device.

5) Figure out a way to store driving maps for times when we won't have wifi.

6) Use a camera with this thing (might not be possible without a laptop intermediary) for relaying pictures back home.

Anyway, sorry to bust on to this forum as a new member, but maybe this thread will be of use to other travelers with new Touches.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can come up with.
  2. Meyer

Meyer Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well im sorry but the best way to get help with all of that is to spend some more time getting used to your ipod. i bought my 1g right before a trip as well. 17 hours a day of driving. just get some games and upload all you music to it and you should be set. i suggest bringing the laptop though so you can sync. also, a car charger helps alot and so does a wall charger. walmart sells them.

and the maps, just plan the route in wifi and do the step my step thing so it "saves" the close up of the turns. i think that will work.
  3. ktuck

ktuck New Member

Thanks for the response Meyer.

It looks like I might be stuck lugging the laptop around for getting pictures off the camera and Skypeing our house-sitter. If that's the case, maybe the Nano goes with me and I return the Touch to Costco. Using it for the last two days has sure got me interested in getting an iPhone, but I've resisted spending that much on a phone so far.
  4. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'd jailbreak it and add the stuff you want to it. You could get the basics done in an evening and gain a lot more functionality from the Touch.

As far as I know, most iPhone headphone/mic sets are compatible with the 2G, so you should be able to grab one fairly easily at just about any store that sells iPod/iPhone accessories. You could probably grab one at the same time when you buy the charger.

Get a case. I like iPod Socks. Apple branded ones are $20, and off brands can be had for ~$5. I have the Apple ones (I found them on clearance), and they've worked great for me and have protected my Touch well.

Aside from that, just put your music and videos on and you're good to go.
  5. eldavo

eldavo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    weeeeeeeeeeeee

Use my advice up there (if i am not too late.)
  6. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Here are some tips to enjoy ur touch in Costa Rica, mate!

1. Go for the Apple USB Adapter that plugs to a power outlet for charging your touch on-the-go and without your laptop.

2. You can upload the movies, music, etc. via iTunes on your laptop for the coming days before Friday. There should be enough time to do this ya?

3. Like what eldavo said, use the built-in Mail app for checking your Gmail. I set up mine to pair with my personal Gmail account...

4. Same advice as eldavo...

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Not sure how I can help you on this. Of course Google Maps is useful when there is WiFi though!

6. I hope such a device is available to give snap-snap functionality to the iPod touch but unfortunately, there is none at the moment!

7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hey, man. I go to Costa Rica twice a year, my grandparents are from there.
    Anyway, you might want to purchase some applications from the App Store that will entertain you for a while. Depending on what your preferences are, some games that might work are: Snail Mail, Blocked, Scrabble, Sim City, etc.
    Also, use the mail app for your mail. Just open it and click on the gmail button and then enter your username and password.
    As for Skype/Fring, they don't always work well on the iPod. I have found, though, that an app called Nimbuzz is really good (and free). It'll work with any VOIP service. I use VOIPCheap.com, which gives you plenty of minutes for free. I'm not sure specifically. Just enter the username/password in Nimbuzz. The server is sip.voipcheap.com

have fun!

Pura Vida!