new touch user - one question.....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by manwood, Dec 22, 2007.

1. manwood

manwood New Member

hi all

ive just been given an ipod touch and am deciding whether to keep it or not. my question is simple - can i use it without installing itunes?

ideally i want to use it as an external hardrive, being able to drag and drop media files through windows explorer. i dont want third party software managing my files for me.

thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Sorry, not possible at the moment. For the iPod Classic and its earlier brethren, it was possible to use a portable program such as Floola to manage your iPod. However, that does not work no the iPhone or iPod Touch, both because the OS is completely different, and because the Touch does not have disk mode (yet; it is rumoured that it will be in the next firmware update).

iTunes is still necessary right now both for syncing and for applying updates.
  3. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    to use as a hardrive you can use total commander to access the files on your touch through a cable so no need for wifi access
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

This still requires that Total Commander be installed on every machine you connect to if you want access to the files on the Touch -- and since TC is not free, this is a little impractical.
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why would you use the iPod Touch for this?

It would be much more practical with the iPod Classic, since it has much more storage space, or even more practical with a portable external hard drive.
  6. manwood

manwood New Member

i dont specifically need to use it as a hard drive - the thing i object to is having third party software manage / re-organise files for me. i have never used it but have heard from friends that itunes is fairly invasive - if i am wrong and it can be used simply as a means of transferring files to and from the touch, then feel free to set me straight and maybe ill give it a go

7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    In the Advanced preferences pane, turn of "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" and turn off "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" -- then you should just get pointers to the files whereever you're storing them rather than iTunes trying to move 'em around and stuff....
  8. manwood

manwood New Member

ok, that sounds like something i could live with. are there any other things / tips you might give a new user?

thanks btw

9. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Search jailbreak on the forums and see what you learn,
    I bet you will never get rid of your touch after you read about it!
  10. iTouchCesar

iTouchCesar New Member

i'll take it off your hands if you don't want it. I love mine with a passion