new touch problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ness5353, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ness5353

ness5353 New Member

good morning everyone!
    Heres a problem i haven't heard of. I bought a new ipod touch yesterday and tried to install it on my Vista pc. when i open itunes, itunes does not detect it. In "my computer" it shows up named ''ipod'', but it has a digital camera icon, plus it has no drive letter assigned to it. Also when i plug the ipod in, the auto play window gives me the option to import pictures, open with "picassa" or "microsoft picture it" etc...photo programs. My pc thinks the ipod is a camera. The ipod does not show up in device manager in the correct place either, it shows up under portable devices along with the all the "card readers" (compact flash etc)
    Everything works fine on my Vista laptop. Does this sound like a driver problem?? One more thing, my old Ipod Mini works fine on both computers.

does anybody have any ideas????

thanks,
    Rod
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This happens to me as well, But I'm running Win XP, what iTunes version do you have?
  3. Leixner

Leixner New Member

Just keep trying to reconnenct, it isn´t listed as a device because the iPod Touch can´t be seen as a portable Device (Hard Drive). If nothing helps, deinstall the drivers, then start itunes and connect the ipod, it should then be syncing with itunes!
  4. link_08

link_08 New Member

this problem has already been discuseed many times. i suggest to look into the apple discussion board, and also is because ur vista is detecting it as a imaging device, or portable device, so open your device manager then look for the apple ipod, for itunes to recognize it must be listed under universal serial bus controllers if it is uneder portable devices or imaging devices just right click and putade driver software then hit the manually opcion and type this C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
    if itunes still doesnt recognize it hold the sleep buttom and then home buttom then release sleep buttom and it should recognize it as restore mode itunes probably will recognize it, if still doesn work download itunes 7.5 and extract the package with winrar and then istall apple mobile device support, software upgrade support, then quicktime then itunes and try again , u should unistall the 7.6 first the whole package including quicktime, i hope this works for u buddy ha i forgot i had the same problem so i figured out how to make it work, sice i;;m running vista as well
  5. ness5353

ness5353 New Member

thanks guys for the ideas. we (me and apple) decided that itunes is npot as it should be on my pc. on the phone with apple for 90 min. seeing that i'm going on vacation tomorrow, i returned the ipod to bestbuy, until i can figure out whats wrong with itunes.

thanks again
    R