New to Touch...a few ?'s

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IronHorse17, Feb 11, 2008.

1. IronHorse17

IronHorse17 New Member

Hey everyone,

I will be getting a Touch later today after school. I beleive it will be the "old" version, meaning it does not come with the new software/apps that apple just released. I just have a few questions that hopefully you can help me out with.

1) Will this version of the touch still be able to access wifi internet, or does it come with safari already on it?

2)What version would I be getting? (I need to know if I should jailbreak or not)

3) Could someone please provide a few links with jailbreaking instructions? I just want to get the most out of my touch.

Thanks! I appreciate any help, as well as any other general advice youguys may be able to provide.

-G
  2. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Well, if you're buying it from the Apple store it will be the latest version with all the 5 new apps already on it!

If you're getting it from somewhere else, its hard to say what version it'll be.

And to answer your questions:

1) All versions come with Safari to access Wi-Fi

2) Again, if you buy it from the Apple store it will be version 1.1.3 with all the apps. (You can downgrade that and jailbreak it) And if you buy it from somewhere else (like a friend) it could be 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, both of which are easy to jailbreak.

3) Heres a good link to get started jailbreaking: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31190

Best of luck with your new iPod! And remember, no matter what happens you won't accidentally brick it, just restore and try again.
  3. Touch²

Touch² New Member

Both WiFi and the Safari browser have been included since launch, neither were part of the January Software Update (which you won't need if you jailbreak as those five apps are easily installed after you do)

You'll likely get a 1.1.2 firmware touch if the update isn't installed. I used the instructions here:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/11/19/help-key-how-to-jailbreak-your-ipod-touch-with-112/

Be patient as it takes a while to load the page now with all the comments posted.
  4. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

5. IronHorse17

IronHorse17 New Member

Thanks for the help everyone!

Please Register or Log in to view images

-G
  6. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

Yes you are welcome. Btw did you get your ipod yet?
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

8. IronHorse17

IronHorse17 New Member

Thanks again everyone, I just picked one up last night at the local target, on sale. It is a 1.1.2. I haven't jailbroken it yet(due to internet issues). I hope to be able to have it jailbroken soon though. Thanks for all the links!

-G