New to the Touch, Easy to customize?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Thinkband, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Thinkband

Thinkband New Member

Hello,

This will be my third Ipod. I had the 2nd gen 15g one and then 4th gen 60gb. I am looking at the 16gb since I think the extra space is worth it, besides my itunes has over 20g's some stuff. Yes, alot of it is crap but I still need the extra 8gb

Anyways, I am not super technical. Some people have programs like NES emulators and such. This looks awesome but can the normal person like me download it straight from the internet to the touch with no problems? Apple allows extra programs on your Touch right?

Thanks in forward for answering my few questions. I am looking forward to getting one of these very soon

Please Register or Log in to view images

-John
  2. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

Apple does not want you to put extra apps on your ipod, it voids your warranty(but thats OK because if you break your ipod to the point it cant be restored apple will never find out).

But yes a normal person can do it, just read the tutorials carefully.
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Yes, it's not a problem with the power of installer.app and automatic jailbreaks. gpsPhone(GB Emulator) is fairly straight forward to install, and with big boss source you can install roms easily.
  4. blajeans

blajeans New Member

yeahh...we're all kind of normal...if we can do it you can definetly do it as well

Please Register or Log in to view images

i know how it feels having just bought something expensive like the ipod touch... and you're probably somehow afraid that you might break anything or something... but there is really not too much to worry about.. and besides that..we are here to help you if anything doesn't exactly work out the way you wanted it to...
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's not rocket science. Jailbreaking - even for 1.1.2 firmware - can easily be done within less than 1/2 hour. And after that, there's a large number of programs that can be installed directly from the iPod Touch using the Installer app. Most of the time you shouldn't even need to directly access the iPod Touch via your home computer to install apps. Couple taps on the iPod Touch and you're set.

As for the question about Apple -- yes, Apple is opening the platform up to third-party development and even offering an SDK for developers. HOWEVER, all of the stuff currently on the iPod Touch is NOT from Apple and will (technically) break your warranty. However, they never need to know. If you ever have an issue with your iPod Touch that would require warranty service, you can simply go into iTunes and perform a full restore of your iPod Touch that will remove all traces of the jailbreak and set it back to the factory defaults. And no one is the wiser...
  6. Masky64

Masky64 New Member

Hacking the iPod touch is so easy, even a caveman can do it.
  7. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

with the help of the members of this community, almost any human with fingers for typing and clicking should be able to do this