iOS 4.0 New to Jailbreaking - several questions

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iTouchIT, Jun 22, 2010.

1. iTouchIT

iTouchIT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Have looked at most of the first few pages, and at the similar threads listed here, but still have some questions:

1. First of all, I've found that I have an "MC" model of iPod touch, which apparently means it's "tethered"? The thread I found stickied here is for untethered iPods, so does that mean there's no jailbreak for iOS4 for my iPod Touch 8GB (MC) yet? Update: Seems the answer is no, not available

Please Register or Log in to view images

And some questions about jailbreaking itself:

2. I'd like to still purchase apps from the App Store after jailbreaking, but have heard conflicting information on this. Some people say that you're forced to use Cydia to get free copies of software, whilst others say that the App Store is unaffected. Preferably I'd like to pay for what I use. Can anyone confirm that the App Store still works?

3. I've heard that multi-tasking works with the iPod Touch, through jailbreaking (this is the main reason I'm considering jailbreaking) - is there any performance issues etc, e.g. slower, which might explain why Apple doesn't officially support it?

4. From what I've been reading, there seems to be several methods to jailbreak (different apps to do it) - but redsn0w seems to be mentioned 90% of the time (others being Blackra1n, Quickpwn, ...). Is redsn0w the best one to use?

5. Is it safe to upgrade to the official iOS4 while waiting for a jailbreak?

6.(Added in Edit) - Oh, and if there's anything else important that you think I should know (being someone that has never jailbroken before) please either mention it or link to the information. Particularly looking for anything that could irreversibly damage my iPod in some way, so I know how to avoid it

Thanks for your time,

- iTouchIT
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1) You're quite right, there is no MC jailbreak yet for 4.0. It will be released soon though

2) The app store is completely unaffected by the jailbreak process so you're safe there.

3) Apparently the native way apple does multitasking does not slow your device down significantly. However there probably will be a slight difference. And of course the performance will be slightly worse on the devices that Apple does not officially support.

4) It all depends which you prefer and what operating system you have. I personally prefer redsn0w, but they're all pretty much the same. Quickpwn however has been discontinued so wont be updated for 4.0, blackra1n might be updated, or a new tool might be made. Redsn0w has already been updated for 4.0, it just needs to add support for the newer iPods.

5) You can upgrade if you want, it shouldn't make a big difference. It just depends on whether you want to wait or not

6) There's no easy way to completely screw an iDevice up, you'd have to be doing some serious digging around to kill something, I've never seen a bricked iPod touch in the 2 years I've been here. You can always just pop it into DFU mode and restore it back to factory settings.

As for information, you can head over to the 4.0 or 3.1.3 jailbreak sections, there are plenty tutorials and information in those subforums.
  3. iTouchIT

iTouchIT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Downloading iOS4 now at my Internet's super-slow speed. 31 minutes remaining XD

I selected "download only", and on the summary screen for my iPod the "Update" button is grayed out. I'm assuming that'll be clickable once it finishes downloading... last time I downloaded an update I asked it to install automatically.

Will read the other jailbreak sections as well. Thanks.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Another quick question - where should I look for updates, to find out when a jailbreak is available for my iPod? I'm assuming that it will be posted as a sticky in this forum, but is there anywhere else worth looking that would be updated first?

The only link on http://redsn0w.com/ doesn't work for me.
    EDIT: It didn't work last time I checked (20 minutes ago) but is working now, albeit it took at least 60+ seconds to load.
    EDIT 2: It seems redsn0w has twitter @iphone_dev - which is perfect for me. Will follow them there...
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Once a jailbreak is released, you'll know about it

. There'll be threads all over the place about it and it will probably feature on the homepage of this site too.

You could check Musclenerd's twitter for updates but there probably wont be much before its released
  5. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I remember with the 3.0 update we had to wait several days for the final release.
  6. Straight ridah

Straight ridah New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I also have the same MC model, I'M really looking 4ward to jailbrake, and get MULTITASKING on my device
  7. iTouchIT

iTouchIT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Have installed iOS4 and impressed with the speed. Folders is a lot more useful than I expected as well.

Multi-tasking would be better though. Guess I just have to wait