New to jailbreaking...NEED GUIDANCE

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedimasterkyle, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jedimasterkyle

jedimasterkyle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey guys, I've been wanting to jailbreak my ipod for a while but ive been hesitant to do so because I wanted to make sure that it was safe. Well after looking at some videos on youtube, it seems that jailbreaking is a piece of cake now a days so I need some help on what to do and how to do it. Ive looked through the various threads and while some of those were of some help, they didnt explain, step by step, what I needed to do so if someone could help me out, that would be awesome. Ive attached a picture from the "About" section of my ipod.

And if its helpful, my ipod is a 2G, 8GB running 4.0

I do have one question though about jailbreaking. Will my calendar events, contacts, notes etc... be saved after I jailbroke it?

Attached Files:

2. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    the jailbreak has no effect on your calendars, notes ect.
    to jailbreak your ipod, open Safari on your iPod and go to http://jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak and let it do the rest and then your done.
  3. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You can jailbreak by going to jailbreakme.com on your iPod. I don't really understand your question about calendar events, notes etc, but if you're talking about iTunes syncing it will sync as normal.
  4. jedimasterkyle

jedimasterkyle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok. What new features can I expect from doing that?
  5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Cydia, you can get wallpapers and multitasking by looking here, and install some custom mods/themes and apps from Cydia. nothing much else to say (that i kno of)
  6. chickenmatt5

chickenmatt5 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The immediate effect of jailbreaking will install Cydia. You can use Cydia to download everything Apple doesn't want you to, like Winterboard for applying themes.
  7. jedimasterkyle

jedimasterkyle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok, so I would have to go into cydia for things like multitasking, home and welcome screen wallpapers, animated wallpapers, battery percentage etc...?
  8. chickenmatt5

chickenmatt5 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you have iOS 4, I believe you already have multitasking and wallpapers. I believe Winterboard will cover animated wallpapers, and SBSettings can enable battery percent.
  9. jedimasterkyle

jedimasterkyle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I dont have the multitasking or additional wallpaper features cuz I have a 2G. It was my understanding that those features were only available on 3G and higher
  10. Dshuffield

Dshuffield New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You get TONS of new features.

When jailbreakme.com is finished jailbreaking your iPod, it will have installed an app called Cydia. This is the (best) App Store of the jailbreak world.

For example, you can enable the main iOS 4.0 features (like Apple's multitasking, having your own background, etc.) by installing Features from Cydia.

You can get custom themes (my personal favorites are iComplete 3, Blue Thunder, and Alit) by searching in Cydia.

You can get MUCH BETTER backgrounding capabilities than Apple's way by installing Backgrounder.

You *can* get "cracked" apps (apps that are free but if you got them in the App Store then you would have to pay for them), but I do not advise this since it is illegal.

You can play NES, SNES, and N64 games on your iPod.

If you get a newer iPod or iPhone in the future than you have now, then you can install Frash (just like Adobe Flash, but on your iPod!).

And there are lots more awesome features that you can use with a jailbroken iDevice.

Have fun!

Please Register or Log in to view images