New to jailbreaking ipod touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by cad2blender, May 30, 2010.

1. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

Hey guys being new and all to the whole jailbreak thing I just wanted to know some stuff before doing it. I just got an ipod touch 3g and I love it, I have been thinking of jailbreaking it but just had a few questions:

1. Is it true that the battery drains faster when using themes via winterboard?

2. since the only reasons I'm considering jailbreaking my ipod is us because I just want to customize, are there unjailbroken (free) apps that will let me text to phones, use yahoo messenger, aol messenger, download youtube videos transfer via wifi or bluetooth to my mac laptop? It would be nice to know.

3. I have also heard that there might be memory leaks when using jailbroken apps, causing the ipod to slow down a bit, is this true?

4. Finally, there are so many ways to jailbreak it... which program would be best for me?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey there! I'm very excited to be the first person to help you out on this. In my opinion, jailbreaking is a MUST. At first, I was a little paranoid about, well, basically all of the questions you have asked and a couple more. My main concern was "bricking" it. But then one of my friends, who had a jailbroken iPod Touch as well, was VERY knowledgeable in the subject and persuaded me to try it. It is very unlikely that you may "brick" your iPod, and even if you do, you can easily fix it. So, I tried it and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

Now, as for your questions:

1. Yes it is true that the battery drains a little bit faster when using themes via Winterboard. But there is another app that you can get from CYDIA called BossPaper. This app is only for applying backgrounds. However, it saves a lot more battery that Winterboard. This is because winterboard runs whatever theme you have selected all the time (during game-play and also during sleep mode), so it takes up a lot of battery. The only time Winterboard is not running, is when you turn off the theme or if you simply turn your device completely off. However, BossPaper stops running when in sleep mode or using other apps, so it saves a lot of battery. I suggest having both.

2. Yes and No.
    Text free = TextPlus (with ads, so its free)
    Yahoo and AOL Messengers = Lite versions
    Download YouTube videos = Not possible without jailbreaking
    Transfer files via Bluetooth or Wifi = Not possible without jailbreaking

But by jailbreaking, you can get all of these and much, much, much more. iPod Touch + Customizations + Free apps (from AppStore) + Free Music = JOY

3. Yeah, sometimes there may be a little lag, but that problem usually occurs when using really big themes or running multiple apps at once (which you can do when jailbroken). Also remember to restart every once in a while. This applys to all devices, jailbroken or not, because it will clear up the RAM and make it run much faster.

4. I recommend using a program called Spirit. You can download this program from this website according to your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux): http://www.spiritjb.com.
    Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IPMmycf_6k
    (I am not the dude in the video - I just looked it up on YouTube)

Well, I hope this was helpful. Have a happy jailbreak!!
  3. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

Hey thanks for the clear reply. So If I were to jailbreak my ipod touch and just install a few apps that I really want the battery life would practically be the same (as long as I don't have any themes installed) Basically what I am asking is.. does jailbreaking alone affect the battery life in any way?

Thanks again!
  4. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The battery life only reduces (still only a tiny amount) when you have Mobile Substrate add-ons, these are constantly running, such as winterboard and SBSettings, Tho i have both of these installed and still have a great battery time.

Be wary tho, as you CANNOT DISCUSS PIRACY on this website.
  5. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, so the answer to your other question. Just jailbreaking your iDevice and doing nothing else to it (so imagine that you just jailbroke like about a minute ago and all you have on your springboard are your ordinary apple and appstore apps plus cydia) will BARELY decrease your battery life (like maybe less than a volt). Also jailbreaking DOES NOT decrease the actual LIFE of the battery, it just causes your battery to get DRAINED faster. The batteries used in these apple devices are VERY resistant to wearing down. But I do suggest one MAJOR thing: please try NOT to play with your ipod especially with a really high quality game like Call of Duty while CHARGING. This applies to all devices, jailbroken or not. This will definitely decrease the LIFE of your battery. I don't mean to scare you, because it only hurts it a little, but can add up over time.
  6. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

Oh yea I actually meant if jailbreaking will decrease the battery runtime... for that particular charge. I should have asked instead, will the battery drain faster with if I were to jailbreak my ipod touch and nothing else added...