New To Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Jontos, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi. I am considering buying a Ipod Touch 2G soon, and I had a few questions about them. It's been difficult trying to find answers to some of these questions.
    1. Are you able to delete apps you download?
    2. If it was a paid app, if I do delete it (maybe because I ran out of room) can I redownload it for free, or do I have to repay for it?
    3. Are the apps I download (paid) tied to the Ipod touch/Iphone I downloaded them on, or can I transfer ownership to another device (something I really hate about most download services... which when you think about it, it takes away our constitutional right of second sale)
    4. I am really interested in recording voice memos.... what are the best headsets and software programs to do this?
    5. Is there any Windows SDK that I can at least learn or develop apps for the Iphone... I have a friend who has a Mac, so I don't forsee a problem compiling the app on his computer (I would buy a Mac to do this, but times are difficult, and I've checked my area and the cheapest go for almost $1000 used)
    6. Are there any good programs that I can transfer songs and files and apps to the Ipod with (without installing Itunes... have avoided so far, and don't want it) (and preferably ones that run off a jump drive or from safari... because a lot of places I travel to I need to use internet cafes, and most are very restrictive on installing software)
    7. Are there any good photo and video (multimedia) programs that will let me view my media on the touch without having to convert the files. What I would like to do is use the touch as a backup drive for my photos and videos (when I travel) and I want to preserve the files perfectly until I burn them to dvd.
    8. What is jailbreaking? Will it harm my Ipod or void it's warranty? Also,can I reset back to legit factory settings if I choose?
    9. What is the benefits of jailbreaking?
    10. Any good websites for apps?
    11. Any highly rated apps to try?

That's all for now.
    Thanks for all help.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    One other thing. What does and does not work on Safari? Flash, Java, other web add-ons? Can you update Safari with any of these, or add-ons in general?
    Thanks again.
  2. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I will answer what I can:

Yes

You can redownload it for free.

The apps are based in your iTunes account, meaning if you own multiple iPod touches, you can sync the apps to all of them from the computer. Note that it is illegal to distribute your apps to others.

Possibly. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Any particular reason you are avoiding iTunes?

Technical Definition of Jailbreak:
    The iPhone and iPod touch hack that allow users to gain access to the entire Unix filesystem. In Unix terms, this refers to changing the root of the directory tree to /.
    Understandable Definition of Jailbreak:
    A hack that gains access to areas of the iPhone or iPod Touch that users aren’t supposed to mess with. Typically, this is an immediate prelude to either installing cool programs, unlocking the handset for use with another cellular network, or both.
    From: http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/what-is-jailbreaking/

It should not harm your iPod, but it does void your warranty. Some say that you can clear all evidence of ever jailbreaking and restore your iPod to factory default, meaning you warranty can remain valid.

See above.

iTunes. As for jailbroken Apps, I have no clue.

Check in iTunes.
  3. kyle15

kyle15 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Yes
    2. Free
    3. Your account
    4. Not sure
    5. I think so, somewhere
    6. i-funbox
    7. i-funbox
    8. Jailbreaking can sometimes go wrong. But if u do it correctly with the right programs your ipod will be fine. It will void your ipod's warranty, but you can restore it back to the old settings if you want and you will still have waranty.
    9.Jailbreaking is basically unlocking your ipod/iphone and you can install 2 apps called Cydia and Installer When you can download themes for you ipod/iphone and change displays and download 3rd party apps and any app from the app store for free.
    10. AppStore (Obv) But im not sure, somebody will know good sites for 3rd party apps.
    11. The top 25 apps. Or check app reviews on this forum.

Hope this helped a bit.
  4. sup1234

sup1234 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you cant jailbreak the ipod touch 2g yet, so if you want to have a jailbroken ipod touch you need to get a 1st gen.
  5. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The most important fact for questions 8 & 9, and I forgot to mention it

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    To put it bluntly, none of these add-ons work. In theory, these could be able to be added in the future, but only if Apple lets it happen. There have been many times in the past when there was news that "Flash might be coming soon!," but it hasn't happened. The closest thing available is the ability to play basic video files using the built-in quicktime player. It doesn't have the capability to play every video file that you could on Windows or OS X, but at least it's something. Oh, and there is a Youtube app built in, so you will be able to see most videos that Youtube has.