New to iPod Touch Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cyrus Kazze, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Cyrus Kazze

Cyrus Kazze New Member

Hi there!

I'm new to the iPod Touch, and well, iPods in general. For some reason, my iTunes program is not recognizing my iPod Touch. Yet, when I take it to my local iPod store, their iTunes can recognize it. Also, my iTunes can recognize when another iPod Classic is plugged in, but not my iPod Touch. I've tried looking everywhere for some support, sadly, nothing I've done has helped. iTunes still fails to recognize my iPod touch.
    Currently, I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite M115 laptop. If there is any advice, please tell me. I'm going a bit crazy here trying to figure out how to get my music to my iPod. Thank you.
  2. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Are you using the same cable as the Classic's? If yes, then try reinstalling iTunes.
  3. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    another usb port, reinstall iTunes, restart ur pc maybe..
  4. Cyrus Kazze

Cyrus Kazze New Member

No, I'm using the cable that came with the iPod touch. It doesn't have buttons on the side.

Also, reinstalling and restarting did not help.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Saw this on another board... maybe it'll help....

6. Cyrus Kazze

Cyrus Kazze New Member

Ah yes, that helped one of my previous problems (I had plenty...oh boy). But sadly, that didn't help now.

Does anyone know of a way to check which USB port is 2.0 or any information about USB 2.0? I think that may be the problem since iTunes is working fine detecting other older iPods and also since other peoples' macbooks running Windows can detect my iPod Touch.
  7. ben471

ben471 New Member

Do you have iTunes open when you plug your iPod Touch in? When I plug mine into my computer iTunes will not open(yes I have the box checked) but if I open iTunes it will see it and sync it. Which is fine with me because sometimes I just want to charge without slowing down my computer trying to open itunes and sync.

So try opening iTunes and then plugging in.
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you're in Windows, go to the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware). Scroll down to the USB devices and look for USB Enhanced -- Enhanced is USB 2.0. If you see standard or OHCI or UHCI, you're stuck with the older 1.1...
  9. Cyrus Kazze

Cyrus Kazze New Member

All right, so I do have USB 2.0, and I'm pretty sure all 4 ports on my laptop are USB 2.0.

Also, I tried with iTunes open, and it still can't detect it. Yet, in device manager, it says "Apple iPod" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Does that mean Windows is detecting it but not iTunes?

I still can't decide if this is a hardware or software problem. Or where the problem even originates from. Thanks for everyone's help. It's truly appreciated!
  10. Cyrus Kazze

Cyrus Kazze New Member

Thank you guys for your help. I managed to get the iPod working now! It turns out, it was a McAfee problem. Darn firewalls... Anyways, I am now open to go search these forums and figure out what my iPod can do! Yay!