New to Ipod Repair

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by T_well, Jun 25, 2010.

1. T_well

T_well New Member

I found this site and did a little reading. Decided I would try my hand at repairing an old ipod. I picked up an old Nano 1st G to try first; all it needed was a click wheel, well at least until I got ahold of it. Now it doesn't get recognized by the comp. or itunes and the screen doesn't work.

But I digress, this is a ipod touch forum. I also got a broken Touch 2nd Gen. 8G. It has a broken screen/digitizer, WSOD, and it won't link up to comp. or itunes. The computer knows it is there but doesn't know what it is. I really don't want to go through the expense and hassle of trying to fix the screen issues if it needs a drive as well.

So if anyone is willing to help a newbie, please PM me and I'll get up with you via phone or PM. And bashers, or what ever the lingo is, go ahead; I've got thick skin. Thanks in advance!
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iPod touches don't have a physical hard drive, they have NAND flash memory (similar to USB memory sticks)...

Put it into DFU mode and see if the computer then recognizes it. If so then you're good to go and a new screen should be all you need. If not then it's probably a deeper hardware issue, though if the computer 'sees' something this shouldn't really be the case.
  3. T_well

T_well New Member

Now I'm really putting the target on my back, but here goes. I'm trying to find exactly which restore/reset is DFU and cannot tell. Can you post a link to DFU directions? I'm not sure if it is possible with this unit. Nothing seems to happen when I hold the wake and home buttons for 10-20 sec. If it's the restore thing, don't I have to connect with iTunes first?
  4. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    hold power + home button for 10 seconds, let go of power button and continue to hold onto home button. you should have a black screen. if itunes logo shows, you are in recovery mode
  5. T_well

T_well New Member

Just hold 'em for 10 sec. I shouldn't see anything on the screen at all?
  6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    DFU mode = completely black screen
    Recovery mode = connect to itunes screen

note that once in DFU it's near i,impossible to get out of it -- iReb can help do this I believe. Anyway you're trying to ascertain if the hardware is okay so connect to yoru computer, put in DFU mode, if recognised then restore it to a clean firmware, and if no errors then you can just replace the digitiser to get it working again.
  8. T_well

T_well New Member

Okay, so it won't go into DFU mode. The screen stays white the whole time you have a button pressed. I'm just going to send it back while I still have a chance. Thanks guys for all your help! Now who knows anything about that Ipod Nano mentioned above??????