New to iPod - How to edit playlists within unit

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SailorFitz, Dec 11, 2007.

1. SailorFitz

SailorFitz New Member

Hey all...

Great site...been lurking for a few weeks now and finally got around to signing up.

My question is this: How or is it possible to add songs to current playlists from within the Touch???? Would seem simple enough...I cant imagine they would leave out this function....even more so, is there a way to view the ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 tags of a song from within the Touch?

Thanks in advance!
  2. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    As far as I understand it, you can create an on-the-go playlist from the iPod Touch. Otherwise, I don't believe you can edit just any old playlist on the fly.

As for the tags, I believe you're limited to the functionality in the player - Artist, Album, Song Title, Composer, Genre...
  3. SailorFitz

SailorFitz New Member

So if I understand you correctly.....I can NOT move/slide/designate/assign a song in my "songlist" to an exisiting playlist....

Please Register or Log in to view images

Bad Apple!

Also, I'm amazed that while a song is playing, that I CANT "click/touch" something to see the full tags, ie, like what year the song is from. Again, Bad Apple.

This is a music player and yet I can order a pizza with it but can't find out if my U2 - With Or Without You came out the same year as Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood simply by looking at the "year tag"

4. SailorFitz

SailorFitz New Member

So thats it?.....no 3rd party apps, nothing?.....no input?

5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Not that I am aware of. This has been the status quo for the iPod since day one. If anything, the Touch made it slightly worse by not scrolling long song titles so you can see the full name. (All other iPods, excluding the iPhone, do this.) What I've been wanting is a configuration program for the player to allow you to choose what tags are shown while the songs are playing. So far they haven't obliged.

As for playlists though, I suppose it could be useful for manual playlists, but whenever possible I try and make all of my playlists smart playlists expressly because I don't want to have to edit them manually. Those things are really a godsend.
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, there's nothing yet - would be nice when wasting time to be able to add tags to songs that are missing them on the fly... of course then the iPod Touch would need to sync info BACK to iTunes with all the music which could become problematic... would require updates to file or transfer of files back over the originals...
  7. matriculated

matriculated New Member

I just discovered MNPlight. I think it can make playlists on the fly (as well as a billion of other useful things).
    http://movenplay.gforge.inria.fr/

From their site:
    Features:
    * Calendar: import from ICAL URL (Google Calendar), import from .ics file, export to .ics file
    * Playlists: add/delete playlists, save on-the-go as a playlist, copy a playlist to on-the-go for edition, import .mp3 files into the iPod
    * Contacts: import from .ldif file (Thunderbird), export to .ldif file.
    * Files: browse local files, and open .pdf or .doc files
    * Web-Radios: listen to web-radios
    * Beamer: send files to other iPhones on a local Wifi network
    * Remote Web Access: upload a file to your iPhone over WiFi from your computer
    * Safari Plugin: download files to your iPhone, simple interface to add new file types