New to graphic design.

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by tymanzz, Apr 7, 2009.

1. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new here and I'm really liking the themes that are being made and want to contribute to making some. The only thing is... that I have hardly any experience with Photoshop, or anything like that. I'm just wondering what the best program would be for me, and maybe a beginners guide to making themes and learning how to use it? In other words, I wanna learn how to make themes from scratch. Any information I can use to get started?
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Welcome to the Graphic Design world, starting with tutorials to get you started on tips and tricks.
    Also learn shortcuts cause they can be very handy.

If you want you can buy a book and read that and learn some tips and tricks.

I personally started with GIMP then moved on to Photoshop, been Graphic Designing for 6 months and it's great.
    Remember, practice makes perfect.
  3. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just open up Photoshop (if you have it) and mess around. Experiment with different tools, but try to avoid tutorials. Even though they're helpful, you need to learn for yourself. You can also try to imitate other artists' work to the best of your ability (but don't release it! Just for practice!) to see how you're doing. The best way to become a good designer is to work at it.

Edit: If you don't have Photoshop, you might try to pick up a light image editor. There are a lot available online.
  4. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Dive head first into the program. Design something. Take a step back, look at it, declare it crap, and move on. Never give up, and always have a project on the go.

Never release early, and don't let people tell you when to release it, it should always be the other way around.

And when you get bored, try another design, or try another program. You can always come back. File it away.

Rinse, and repeat.
  5. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    hey. although what fear said is good i would recommend just diving right into photoshop or gimp and experiment. its ho i learned and i also believe that meikura learned the same way
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ^^^^i'd recommend not doing tutorials, just following the directions gets you to a cool result but you won't learn much (at least i don't)

first i'd just screw around for awhile until you're familiar with most of photoshop's features like brushes filters layerstyles blending modes the pen tool gradients etc, and then look at the end results of tutorials and try to make it yourself without following the directions

downloading other peoples' psds and looking at how they did stuff also helps

then i'd go join some gfx forums and hang around there for a couple years to hone my skillZ

edit: wow 4 posts inbetween when i started posting this, and groove posted mostly the same thing i did

oh well
  7. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So Photoshop or GIMP?
  8. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Photoshop.
  9. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

The reason i used GIMP is cause i didn't Ps back then, and i never use to tutorials and never will but I've heard some people saying that they've learned everything they know through tuts so maybe he can do that if he wants, i don't recommend it though.
  10. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    photoshop

QUICK QUIZ: WHY DOES MY PHOTOSHOP CLOSE EVERY TIME I HIT THE ENTER BUTTON?