New to developing

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by thund3r, Jul 19, 2009.

1. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    I am trying to make an app that will let me add a new document when i press the add button and it will ask for the title of the document in a alert box. Then after i type the name it will add it to the list and you can delete and move the documents around. If it click on the document it will take me to a blank documents and after i type whatever i want to be able to save it.

I know some basic stuff but i still don't get what the codes mean and can do so please help me, thanks.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I understand your predicament, but it is simply not rational to jump right into your application ideas with little or no understanding of the Objective-C language. You have to start out slow, and make sure you fully grasp concepts before moving on. Or else, you'll find yourself with a patchwork of copy-pasted code and no idea about what does what.

Here's a book that teaches you the fundamentals of OBjective-C. From there, many doors will open for you.

Good luck.
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  4. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    I've bought exactly what you told me to buy and after i read for a while it told me that i will need to know some Objective C programming language before i start reading more of the book.

Are there any books that will tell me detailed about what the codes actually do when I type them in?
  7. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
  8. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i would highly recommend getting your hands on this book.

its taught me the fundamentals of objective c and object oriented programming. I would recommend reading this book and slowing going through it understanding it before you try to start making applications.

Trust me.. I did it the hard way.. the wrong way round and tried doing what you are doing and making iphone apps before i knew how to program
  9. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Programming in Objective-C 2.0 is actually a really good book. I've already read about 2 chapters of it and it taught me about variables, classes, objects, methods and more. It's a really good book, even I, a complete noob that doesn't know anything about programming could learn things from this amazing book. I really recommend it.

The book explains the code you type in detail and even gives you some exercises based on the chapter you read to ensure you understand the concept before you move on to the next topic.
  10. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    So this book will teach me the language i use for coding and all that because i'm gonna buy it right now.