New Storage Hard Drive. Internal or external? recomendations.

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by jonwilson1988, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jonwilson1988

jonwilson1988 New Member

ok. my desktop is rapidly running out of space, i have a 250GB HD and a 500GB HD. the 250 has XP and partitions for games and the 500 has Vista and a partition for Music/Movies and programs that i have stored.

Im planning on removing XP and going with solid vista but would still like some extra room for storing my movies, TV shows, and music that i have on the drives.

i figured i could either remove the 250HD and install a 1TB one or get a 1TB external drive that i can use to move music/movies between my Vista desktop and my MacBook. And also use the 1TB drive as a backup drive for use with time machine.

I would buy Time capsule, as i really want it, but as a student living with 5 other students i really cant justify the purchase as we already have a perfectly good router. (one question is can timecapsule be used to back up a windows desktop? or just mac?).

Also if i was to have a external drive would i be able to put my music on it and which ever iTunes i acces the music thru (windows or mac) it would detect my music/play count and playlists automatically?

Thanks.
  2. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'd go for the External drive, much more practical, you can move work around with you, music files, keep backups of documents you need etc especially with 1TB you'll have plenty of room for it. I've got a 120gig external which is great for what I use it for.

As for the last question, i'm not sure, I don't think it would unless you have your "My Music" folder in there with your iTunes library file etc in there, but I've never tried it so I'm not sure sorry.
  3. swillard8

swillard8 New Member

Yes external, but when you invest in a new pc or mac I'd advise solid state, its gonna be the next big thing!
  4. jonwilson1988

jonwilson1988 New Member

Yeah, its a shame solid stat is RID-IC-UL-LARSLY expensive atm. I am going to upgrade my macbooks to solid state at some point.
  5. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i wouldnt do that...buying a whole new laptop with ssd would be better