New Rogers Data Plans - Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acecchetto, Dec 8, 2008.

1. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hello All,

I went on Saturday to get my iPhone and upgrade my plan to include data. I was signed up for this;

$30 Data Value Pack
    10,000 Text Messages
    10,000 Multimedia Messages
    Caller ID
    Visual Voicemail
    Who Called
    500MB of data

The package is not found on the website, so you have to call in for it. Might be a good alternative for those in the $30/6GB + $15 visual voice mail value plan and use less than 500MB.

Info Source
  2. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Wow, I am surprised that none of my fellow Canadians have even commented on this deal!

For people that are on the 6GB data plan ($30) and the visual voicemail value pack ($15) and don't use more than 500MB/month, this plan can save you $180/yr....
  3. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Why do they offer Multimedia messages if the iPhone doesn't support them?...
  4. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The plan can be applied to Crackberry and Windows Mobile also, and they support MMS.
  5. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You're still spending thousands of dollars over the course of your contract...
    They're still ripping you off...
  6. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This is just a way to reduce the pain...

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Functional Disorder

Device:
    iPod touch
    Fair enough, but it's still stupid expensive. I guess that's what happens when there's a monopoly (and I'm not talking about the game!)

8. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have to agree with you there... we need a lot more cellular companies up here to start driving the pricing down... I think it will start soon enough, seeing as the 2008 Spectrum Auction has been completed;

Canada’s 2008 Spectrum Auction

In the summer of 2008, the Canadian government under Industry Canada auctioned off a large block of wireless spectrum called the AWS block for new mobile/cellular services. This auction represents a significant moment for the wireless industry in Canada. In recent recent years the Canadian mobile industry has been characterized by growing carrier consolidation (before the auction there were only 3 major mobile carriers in Canada and only one GSM carrier Rogers). These industry dynamics led to a situation where Canadians experienced among the highest pricing in the developed world for wireless services and among the lowest penetration rates of mobile phone and smart phone usage.

Why the AWS spectrum auction is so significant for the Canadians and the Canadian wireless industry is because the government did something special with this auction. The government designed the auction specifically to bring new wireless competition and new entrants to Canada. The AWS spectrum was divided into 6 blocks, 3 available for the 3 incumbents (or anyone else) to bid on and, this is the important part, 3 blocks were “set aside” only for new entrants. In addition, rules were put in place requiring the incumbent carriers to share tower space and allow roaming on their networks while new entrants are building out their networks.

Source
  9. Functional Disorder

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, we'll see how that works out. I'm from Canada as well so kind of following this.
    But at the same time, just like Bell controls the internet speed and limits the other companies that use their broadband.
    We have high speed internet access (Rogers included) yet they limit out speed during peak hours??? What the frick is that about?
    A little off topic but that's just so wrong, it's not even funny. And how that's legal (oh wait, they're sleeping in bed with our gov't, I forgot)....
    end rant..

10. acecchetto

acecchetto Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I just read an article on a statement put out by Harper regarding the gouging of wireless customers by companies, and the possibility of getting the CRTC involved... let me find it, mind you it was from September 2008;

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission would also be empowered to block “unfair charges” in the future, and the country’s telecommunications act will be amended to create a “code of conduct” for wireless services, Harper said.

Source

It seems like in the world of television, telephone, internet and wireless, we are getting gouged royally... and it all seems to fall back to the lack of competition.