New or Old Macook for my needs?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Antney1234, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Antney1234

Antney1234 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hello sorry to bother everyone. I have a quick question. I've been a PC user all my life and it's getting really old and slow, and I need a laptop for my school work. I'm thinking about getting my first Apple computer a Macbook. This Macbook has to last me over 8 years, for my current high school years and University. I really like the user interface with macs and I've used my cousins IMac and I love it. My budget limits me to only spend up to $1400. I am really new to Apple computers and I don't have a lot experience with them. I was wondering If I should get the old white/black macbooks or the new aluminum one? I won't mind upgrading the RAM to 4gb. I was thinking about the old ones because they are selling really cheap online and they are more affordable. I definitely want a Apple computer no more PC's for now.

Which Macbook do you think I should purchase according to my needs?

I would really appreciate it if you guys would help me because I have no clue and I don't want to make a wrong decision. Sorry if I'm being a pain

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The only difference is the outer casing
  3. doddz3h

doddz3h New Member

I was in the same situation when starting college a few years ago and I bit the bullet and got a MacBook.

Never looked back since!

I think that they can be over priced if you get the upgrades through apple (like extra ram) so do what I done and just buy the one with the CPU that suits you and you can very easily add more RAM and a different hard drive at a fraction of the cost of doing it through apple. not sure if its just as easy or possible with the new unibody ones.....

But I fully back that saying they all say

"Once you go Mac, you never go back!"
  4. Duykur

Duykur Banned

macook?

does it make sushi?

If you want it to last 8 years, suggest you get the highest available model, so it doesn't become outdated as fast.
  5. Antney1234

Antney1234 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Oops I misspelled Macbook.
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you need it to last 8 years, get the aluminum 2.4. The plastic MacBook graphics card will be COMPLETELY outdated in 8 years.
  7. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

Actually, on apples website, it says that the macbook white uses NVIDIA Geforce 9400m graphics.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook (See very right)
  8. Antney1234

Antney1234 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  9. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yea they updated the plastic with the same one as the new...
  10. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The only thing that new aluminum MacBook has over the white polycarbon MacBook is the design and RAM. The white one uses DDR2 and the aluminum one uses DDR3. The RAM is faster but the overall performance of both Mac's are the same and have the same hardware. Also, the new aluminum MacBook has a multi-touch trackpad, but you can live without it! Get the MacBook White and save a few hundred dollars and save it for accessories!

Please Register or Log in to view images