New o2 iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kezlehan, May 22, 2009.

1. kezlehan

kezlehan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey guys. Firstly, sorry for not using the search. Honestly, I don't really have much of a clue of what I'm talking about, so sorry in advance.

Ok, so, hopefully next friday, I will be purchasing a new o2 pay as you go 16gb 3g iphone, from the o2 website. I am wanting to unlock it so I can use it on my orange contract.

I have heard that new iphones have a higher baseband, honestly, I have no clue what this is.

All I want to know, is is it possible to unlock a brand new iphone 3g from o2, and if so how.

I know about jailbreaking, and did it on my ipod touch 2g, but I am guessing it's not the same for this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Can't unlock the latest firmware. Should be a new 3g out mid July also. Usually O2 will unlock them for a fee
  3. kezlehan

kezlehan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks for the reply. I read somewhere on the Internet that you can't get an unlock code from o2 unless you've had the handset for 12 months. I hope that's not true.
    Also, I'm not sure whether we can talk about this here, but I heard you could buy a sim card which allows you to use any sim? I might be talking rubbish there.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

They have a few different names (Turbo SIM, Magic SIM etc...). They do work but I have heard mixed results. For the price they are a decent alternative for the iPhone until the new software comes out and hopefully the Dev Team works their magic with it.
  5. kezlehan

kezlehan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that those sims will work on the newest iphone 3g's? As in the ones I could buy from the o2 shop today?
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have not tried one personally but yes they should work. Just be sure you get one that is made for a 3G iPhone running 2.2.1; there are all kinds of them on eBay and you should be able to find one for less than $10.
  7. kezlehan

kezlehan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok cool thanks. So is 2.2.1 the latest firmware that
    new iPhones will be using?
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

For now yes; 2.2.1 is the latest firmware (3.0 will probably be coming out in the next few months).

It is highly unlikely but check your phone when you get it; if it is running firmware 2.2 you can unlock it. Again, this is very unlikely but worth checking when you get your new phone.

Also, it is even more unlikely but assuming you jailbreak your new iPhone you can also check the BaseBand. If it is on 5.08 you are one of the lucky ones. There are guides to check your BaseBand and I doubt you will get one new that is still on 5.08 but again it is worth checking.
  9. kezlehan

kezlehan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks again for the reply. One last question, so if by chance it is on 2.2 does the baseband not matter?
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If it is on 2.2 (and has never been on a higher Firmware) then the Modem Firmware is 2.28.00 which is the unlockable Modem Firmware.

The BaseBand does not matter if it is still on 2.2. The early BaseBands (5.08) are able to be downgraded which allows the Modem Firmware to be downgraded to 2.28.00. So if it is on 2.2.1 (which has the non-unlockable 2.30.03) but has the BaseBand 5.08 the Modem Firmware can be downgraded (I have not seen one of these in my previous 4 3G's but they are out there).

That might be a little confusing but hopefully that answers your question and then some.