New member - How cool is this thing!?!

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by blueridgerider, May 26, 2009.

1. blueridgerider

blueridgerider New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Bit of a rhetorical question.

I actually don't own a touch yet, it is being shipped as we speak. But I have a fair amount of experience with one since my wife has one and I do all her gadget management.

I originally got her a Nano, and last Christmas I got her an Ipod 2G touch. It seemed gimmicky to me at the time. Sure we looked around at iTunes but most the apps seemed - well, like I said gimmicky. I had not interest for one myself. I used my cell phone for an MP3 player (mainly because the only time I used an mp3 player was while riding and needed the bluetooth capabilities to go with my helmet).

Basically, my impression of the Touch was that it was nothing more than a glorified MP3 player. I discovered, as I began to find cool and useful apps, and I made a wireless network - (I had wired my house for networking so never really needed a wireless adapter until the Touch) - I found how cool the Touch could be.

Until just a week ago I had almost settled on a Cowon S9. It supported some formats I liked, cheaper, and I have to admit its screen is freaking gorgeous. But it just lacks the versatility of the Touch (doesn't feel quite as sturdy either).

Apps such as Kindle, Stanza, and Pandora pushed my decision in the favor of the Touch. Yeah, there are some Cowon features I'd like to have, but there are so many more on the Touch I would crave.
  2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah, a beautiful little gadget Apple invented, isn't it?
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It's a very cool gadget, and Apple certainly got it right, but they most certainly did not invent it. Almost ten years ago, I was using one of these:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Form factor look familiar? Home button placement look familiar? Name (iPAQ) sound familiar?

Either way, Apple has finally found a way to make a PDA with broad appeal, so hats off to them for doing what many before have failed.

To the original poster, welcome! Hope you have a good time here

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I probably would have gotten an Cowon S9 too if it wasn't for the App Store, because everything else seemed better on the Cowon.

The freaking App Store reeled me in though and I don't regret my purchase one bit.
  5. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i somehow knew that apple didn't invent it, yet i just posted it and waited for somebody to come and correct me, and give me a good explanation as to how and why, thanks bgizzle

6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i looked at the iPaq a while ago but decided that for all of the similarities there are quite a few differences
  7. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Of course. At the most elementary level, the iPaq was pretty much a failure and the iPod is a success.
  8. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Welcome to the site! I'm sure you won't regret getting one.

9. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    i remember the 1st day i got my ipod touch omg :O i was amazed,still am,but i wish i could go back to the first day