New MBP 13" or Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by groundzero, Jun 14, 2010.

1. groundzero

groundzero Member

Hello all,
    My b-day is coming up and according to the wife I can either purchase the new refreshed Macbook Pro 13 and wait until christmas to get an Ipad or get the ipad and wait to get a laptop later? I know its up to me but what would you guys do?
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    A MacbookPro cost $1000. An iPad starts at $499.
  3. groundzero

groundzero Member

i know but if you were to chose which one to purchase first which one would you buy? just a thought? Plus I would be a first time Mac user coming from a PC, I heard lots of great things about the OSX operating system.
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Save until Xmas for a better MBP.
  5. smacktack

smacktack Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    iPad over MBP hands down. The iPad is just fantastic (I am not biased either because I own both lol). Like others said, wait for the new MB
  6. groundzero

groundzero Member

will there be a new macbook pro by that time? They just had a refresh about 2 month ago.
  7. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    I say go for Macbook Pro, and there probably won't be because the new lineup came out a while ago.
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Edit: my bad. I didn't read thoroughly. Since you have a PC, think about what you'll do with the Macbook Pro carefully, and about what you will do with the iPad, then make choices accordingly.

Here are my take on the new Macbook Pro 13" (which I own... 2.66GHz CPU version in case you wonder) and the iPad (I also have this but it's obvious).

The new Macbook Pro 13" is actually not anything new at all. It has a better integrated GPU (which is really only important if you play a lot of heavy games), but battery life and performance is just about the same thing as the older generation. You can get the 2009 Macbook Pro 13" for around $900 refurbished on Apple online store. I'd say the only advantage thus far over the older generation is the touchpad which now supports kinetic scrolling. Not that I use that feature that often. This is good for heavy-duty image editing and productivity scenarios with CAD softwares, audio softwares, and programming. The battery life is not too stellar though it's better than the category average. Heat is on the moderate side, and portability is not the best, though the thin package is definitely a looker, and the aluminum body is really really really sturdy. Also very hard to scratch, but not impossible.

The iPad 3G... is good for all kinds of web surfing in general. You can set it up to do IM while surfing the web or while playing a game. Even without multitasking, it seems to do what I want to do quite okay. Checking emails is fast, checking out some websites is fast, and the device is always on to some extent. One problem with the size of the iPad is that the device is really thin, and not really light, so it's quite hard to hold until you get used to it. You can use it almost anywhere though, and in situations where a Macbook wouldn't fit in, but then that itself is a problem because you can see quite a number of iPad users not able to put the device down even for a minute. The battery life is really insane on this device. You can easily use it from when you wake up in the morning until you can't do anything anymore in the evening. And you don't have to hold back at all from using it, be it for web surfing or video viewing, or music listening, or playing games. The device will just last that long. You can expect at least 8 hours on 3G, 10 hours on Wifi, or more of continuous usage.

Downside to the iPad is of course... the fact that it's still quite young and software support is quite minimal. There are a lot of things it can do right now, but also a lot of things it can't do. Among that is viewing online streaming services such as Hulu or ESPN3. Some streaming services already have solutions, while others don't. Bottom line is... if you can't live without ESPN3 or Hulu, stay away from the iPad... at least until later this year. There are workarounds, but they don't always work.

The obvious best scenario is where you use the Macbook Pro as the host and the iPad to aide in productivity cases, then just the iPad when you only need to check an email or read a web article. But that scenario is also quite... costly.
  9. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Macbook Pro, by far.
  10. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well if you've got 1000 to spend on a MBP... get 2 iPads.