New MBA 13" questions

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Ezekeel, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Some questions to people who already have tried one:

1. How is the LCD screen under different viewing angles?
    2. How hot does the notebook get under stress, lets say encoding/converting a bunch of videos or music files for one hour or 3D games?
    3. How is the keyboard?
    4. What about the battery runtime for doing office stuff with WiFi/BT disabled, surfing the web with WiFi/BT enabled and streaming video over WiFi?
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I haven't tried one yet, but I have pored over a bunch of different reviews/hands-ons/previews.

1. Comparable to the Macbook Pro, except that it doesn't have the glossy glass covering. The screen is still glossy, but it won't reflect as much as the Macbook Pros.

2. According to Techcrunch (and others) the only thing that really made it noticeably hot and stress is Flash video. Shocker, huh? The author was able to use iMovie just fine, though encoding and converting took longer than a Macbook Pro.

3. Keyboard, according to everyone, is nearly identical to the Macbook Pro. In other words, great.

4. Not too sure there. Nobody has done a detailed review that centers around the battery life.
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, I had some time to toy with them in a store today, here's what I found out:

1) The screen is protected by a thin plastic layer instead of a glass layer. It definitely reflected less than glass, and it did provide a very good view of the screen. I kinda liked it better than the glass. Either way, viewing angle was extremely good. I almost though it was an IPS panel. The resolution was noticeably higher than a regular Macbook (Macbook Pro included). You can really see the difference putting them side by side.

2) I concur that Flash video heated things up a few notches. Playing back a 1080p Youtube video made the underside quite warm to touch. It's not terrible, but it's definitely noticeable. 3D games might make it worse.

3) Keyboard was good enough. Somehow I felt that it would be nice with a backlight, but it was okay without.

4) I saw 6:50 hours remaining while surfing Engadget. Playing Youtube videos brought it down to 3:32, though... Alternatively, the 11.6" version reported 4:45 and 2:24 respectively.
  4. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the info. Sounds very promising. Looks like I really have to get off my lazy ass and try one myself.