New jailbreaking idea

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by eric_chaos, Jan 12, 2008.

1. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First off, this is just an IDEA.

If I'm correct, if you use total commander on an unjailbroken iPod, you see the media folder with ipod_control and all those folders.

What would happen if someone would do the following:

1. Move the application folder to the /root/media folder

2. Create a symbolic link in the / folder to the application folder

3. Upgrade (not restore) your firmware. The reason I say upgrade and not restore is because upgrading doesnt touch the /root/media folder (at least I don't think it does)

For the next step, I just need one question answered: When you upgrade, does it completly delete the application folder, or just the contents of the folder before putting on the default applications? If it just deletes the content of the folder, then theoretically, it should leave the symbolic link to the /root/media folder, thus enabling you to view the contents of the application folder using total commander or iPhone browser and put new apps on a nonjailbroken iPod.

Would this work, or not?
  2. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    no can do, the update restores the system drive so no symbolic link will work, also some apps need access to the system drive,

Cheers,
    Ben.
  3. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    why couldn't we theoretically make an auto starting app that launches with the springboard, to recreate the sym-link?