new iPod Touch - newbie questions...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by godisjustpretend, Nov 12, 2007.

1. godisjustpretend

godisjustpretend New Member

Just returned my n800 for the Touch. Couldn't be happier. Have a few questions though...

1) Can I disable the auto-rotation in Safari? When I am laying down on my side, I can't get the rotation right.
    2) I purchased the anti-glare screen protector (brand = Power Support) when I bought my Touch. It's ok, but I am wondering if there is a better one out there. Is there consensus on the best protectors?
    3) I am in the market for some kind of case. I don't want a case that I can leave it in. I want a case that will protect it enough that I can put it in my pocket and remove it easily enough. It also shouldn't be too bulky. Any suggestions?
    4) I'm also in the market for an AC adapter/charger. I want something I can carry with me and charge it if I don't have access to a pc. I'd also like the charger to allow me to operate the Touch while charging (if possible). Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. happycat

happycat New Member

Get the charger off ebay. Look for the USB models.

No, you can't disable the autorotation. I find if you keep the touch parellel (flat) with the ground it won't notice the rotation, the touch will only rotate if it's at an angle or perpendicular to the ground.

You don't really need a screen protector because the screen is made of glass and is virtually scratch proof, there are youtube videos demonstrating this. An anti glare screen is also unnecessary because the touch has a light sensor built in that changes the brightness and contrast of the screen to match the lighting conditions you're in.

I'm curious, because I thought about getting an n800, why did you return the n800 and why do you find the touch is better?
  3. godisjustpretend

godisjustpretend New Member

The browsing experience is just horrible. The text is so small, you can't read it. So, you have to zoom in. Zooming involves either stumbling to find 2 poorly-placed buttons or clicking a zoom menu, which brings up your zoom choices. You're stuck with strange increments, like 80%, 100%, 120%, 150%, 200%, etc. When you do this, you often have to do a ton of horizontal scrolling. It's awful.
    Then there's the backlight. Of course, months of lurking in n800 forums didn't reveal any of this, but once I brought up that the backlight was uneven, i noticed people chimed in in agreement. The other strange thing that most people said was normal was the strange "shimmery" effect that seems related to the poor viewing angles, etc.

Besides basic web browsing, I wanted to watch video podcasts. It was a huge chore to convert to the correct format and resolution, then you were stuck with subpar video quality. Frankly, I'm shocked at how much better browsing and video is on the Touch.