new iPod touch. had the internet working and now it doesn't! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rolovesit, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rolovesit

rolovesit New Member

This is pretty long but I want to make sure to give lots of details. Okay here's the deal. My dad got me a brand new iPod touch for Christmas this year. I took it out of the box and discoverd that I could get online with it. It automatically picked up my parents internet from their router (they have time warner internet) so I was able to use safari and all other programs on the ipod at their house. I got home and my router didn't have wireless so I went to Radio Shack and got a Linksys wireless router. So I had it all hooked up and my iPod picked up the signal and I was able to connect and use all applications. Well yesterday, I noticed that 4 mysterious devices were stealing my internet (I had the router on no security) so I changed it to high security. Well after that, the ipod picked up my internet but it said unable to connect. It didn't ask me for a password or anything. So I turned the privacy off on the router and just marked the people stealing my internet as intruders. Now, it says the wi-fi is not connected. It picks up my internet but the signal is black and all the fields such as IP address, Subnet mask, router (ect..) is blank. I have read all the posts on here on how to fix it but none of the suggestions have worked. Now, when my sister first turned on her ipod on Christmas, it took hers probably 45 minutes to an hour to pick up my parents internet. It automatically filled in all the info to her ipod and she was able to get online with it. It's been more than 45 minutes for me. I haven't been able to get online on my ipod since aroud 8pm last night. Anyone who could help me out would be so great!! Ps. I am not a apple or computer wiz so take it easy on me.!! THANK YOU.
  2. Easy.B-4597

Easy.B-4597 Member

Hmm im having the exact same problem but for me i havnt tried turning off my router protection as in i have alrdy heard it works for some people like that.
    But yah im sure theres something wrong but no one has been answering me on any threads =/
    If you do get it working please do tell me thanks
  3. Picklenose

Picklenose New Member

Try This....

I had the same problem and did the following:

1) Suggest turning your security back on for your own proctection.
    2) With a Linksys router, in set-up, under Wireless/Wireless Security, there is a "WPA Shared Key" Typically 15-20 random characters long. Write this down.
    3) Reset the Ipod Touch settings by selecting settings/general/reset/reset all settings. This will NOT delete any of your files (music, movies, etc).
    4) Go back and turn on Wi Fi and attempt to log onto your network, it should prompt you for your networks password -- enter the WPA Shared Key from #2above.

Good luck.
  4. KaiL

KaiL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You may want to try:

1)Go to your Ipod Touch WiFi setting and "Renew Lease"

or

2a)Tell your Ipod Touch WiFi to "Forget this Network"
    2b)Change your wireless routers SSID.

Hope this helps.
  5. Easy.B-4597

Easy.B-4597 Member

Umm Kail i dont really understand what you mean by renew lease?can you explain please thanks
  6. KaiL

KaiL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In your Ipod Touch Settings, under WiFi, if you are connected to your Wifi network, you should see your Network Name checked under " Choose a Network..." If you go to (tap on it) that you should see the ip address etc under DHCP, scroll down and you will see "Renew Lease".

Another thing about Ipod Touch is that it will not find your wireless network for you if your wireless router is set to "not" Broadcast SSID (which is a little more secure).
  7. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Just go to your wifi settings, find your network, click it, and hit forget network.

When you reconnect it should ask for the password and everything will work fine.
  8. Easy.B-4597

Easy.B-4597 Member

yaah i already tried that shortperson and kail i found the renew lease and went and pressed but nothing happened =/ btw im getting an ip address like 169.1..... any help please on this =/
  9. rolovesit

rolovesit New Member

Okay so I did that and I found my network but all the IP address and everything under that is still blank. I click it and it shows the lock but it doesn't ask for the password. This is so frustrating! Thanks for attemping to help!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nowhere do I see "renew lease". Maybe that's because all of the information such as IP Address, subnet mask, ect... are blank. :-/
  10. KaiL

KaiL New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    rolovesit,

Since you did have you ipod touch connected to the internet before you added security etc. You may want to start all over again.

1) Tell your ipod touch to " forget the network "
    2) Power Off your ipod touch by pressing the Standby key until it asked you to "slide to power off"
    3) Reset you wireless router to default. I don't have a Linksys wireless router. But usually, routers have a small hole for you to press to reset to default. You may want to consult your user manual on how to do that.
    4) Setup your router to have a different SSID (or with Security settings)
    5) Turn on your ipod touch