New iPod Touch 4G Owner - Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTouchEC, Sep 19, 2010.

1. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So a little over a week ago, I discovered the new generation iPod touch was being released. I had a nano that I got for Christmas last year, but was definitely interested in the touch, not only for the WiFi, but also for the apps and such. I went to Best Buy just days after it being released. I had already planned on getting an 8GB. I don't have thousands of songs, so I didn't think I needed to spend the extra $70 for the higher model. Best Buy only had 8GB in stock, great.

I get home, start it up, sync it... I love it. It's sleek, it's fast, the screen is beautiful. I couldn't put it down.

After researching online and visiting various forums such as this one, I read some problems that people were having with the 4G iTouch. After reading the problems with light leaking, I checked mine out in the dark. Yep, I have a light leak. It's on the left side, it's about 1 - 1.5 inches long where the volume buttons are. Now I do have a case, which covers it, but upon inspection I realized that it almost looks like the screen isn't square. It's off a little, and there is a gap (hence the light leak). Another problem I encountered (which is probably more common) is the battery life sucks! I know it'll be drained faster with WiFi on, but I even did all the things to save battery (push notifications off, turned down screen brightness, etc.) and I'm still not happy with the battery life.

I think I'm going to take it to Apple on Tuesday and ask for a replacement. The battery issue I suppose I can deal with, although maybe I got a bad one? My question is, they're not going to look at me like I'm stupid when I request a replacement for the light leak, right? I know it's probably not a big deal to some, but when you pay this much money, you expect perfection. I don't like seeing a gap. Only thing I'm worried about is I'll get a replacement that has the same issue.

Anyways, sorry about the long post, thanks for reading, any comments are welcome! Just joined the forum!
  2. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    they wont think ur wierd, im doing the same thing.. and over time it will most likely get worse because the heat loosens the glue..
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    They'll replace your iPod if it has Light leakage. And if you get the same problem get another one.
  4. oadam11

oadam11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just to let you know, on monday I plan to go to apple to get it exchanged. I also have the light leak by the volume buttons. When I go, I will let you know how it goes.
  5. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Battery drainage is normal on iOS 4. It sucks.
  6. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    And over the FW updates the battery get better.
  7. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Holy crap you guys respond quickly!

You guys definitely made me feel better. I HATE returning things, I feel like they look at you like they hate you, haha. But like I said, I don't like the fact that light leaks and there is a gap that can accumulate dust, dirt, etc. It'll bug me.

Oadam11, definitely let me know how it goes on Monday. I'm sure it's no big deal to them, but just wanted to get some advice.

It'll be nice to get a new one too, because I have a few little scratches on the back from when my cousin took off my cover (WTF) and set it on a table. That's a no no. Good thing he's little, lol.

Another quick question, do I have to set up an appt? I don't want them to diagnose any problems, I know the problems. I know they are going to have to inspect for the leak, but no doubt they will see it. So what I'm asking is, can I just walk in?

And yeah BigJZoo, the battery power isn't sufficient. Goes down SO QUICK after just playing a game for moments. Shame.

Looking forward to being a member here, you guys are helpful.
  8. MynameIsIpod

MynameIsIpod Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    your gonna to make a genius bar appointment online or something and just go in there and they will call u up to show them the problems. Good luck i hope this doesnt happen to me when i get mine in 2 weeks=p
  9. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

Dude take it back, you spent good money on something that is'nt working properly.
  10. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Mynameis, I just made an appointment for Tuesday. Haha, in the comment box I put "Coming in for a replacement iPod Touch 4G 8GB. Light is leaking/bleeding between screen and bezel." Kind of cool how when they read that they'll be prepared. Hopefully they have a 8GB in stock, although I know most likely they will.

ThePodofi, you're absolutely right. We pay too much to have any sort of defect. I know when a new version of a device comes out, there will be bugs. But a light leak isn't a bug, it's a manufacturing issue!